RedHat going pro...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RedHat going pro...

Any thoughts about setting up a RedHat 9 server when they will stop supporting it next month? Getting a new server from Dell next week, and I was considering putting RH9 on it... Guess I'll have to think it through some.

What other options are there? Win 2003 advanced server / other linux distributions.

What are good choices?

Why not just go with that natural progression of RH and use Fedora Core 1?
    Computer Help Forum
    An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Actually that would be RHEL. Fedora is unstable for production.
      Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Windows 2003 Server should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by WildEye
          Any thoughts about setting up a RedHat 9 server when they will stop supporting it next month? Getting a new server from Dell next week, and I was considering putting RH9 on it... Guess I'll have to think it through some.

What other options are there? Win 2003 advanced server / other linux distributions.

What are good choices?
          i ask question
          why redhat want stop supporting?

Comment

Go with RH Enterprise if you can. We use it on all of our Linux servers at work and it's great. It's basically RH 8/9 in the most stable of forms. Their release cycle for the enterprise version is extremely long, which is great for stability. Fedora will remain their "new technology" release just as the old free RedHat was. They take what is learned from those releases and incorporate them into the enterprise version.
            Console Racing Review

Comment

Try slackware.

Comment

I've just built a gentoo dev server and its ***** amazing Converted me from BSD for the moment
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Stewart
                  Go with RH Enterprise if you can.
                  $18,000!!!
                  Sig? What sig?

Comment

That looks like it is for a different platform. I'm not current with platforms but the x86 RedHat edition is $1500.
                    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

For something like what we use, we'd probably fall under Small/Mid-Range server.
                      http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/

Product Comparison: http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/comparison/

However I think with a few tweaks, you can basically get the same thing as the RH Linux AS by just adding the stuff from Fedora.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

How about NetBSD?
                        Matt
                        Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                        Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                          I'm running an FC1/cPanel box that is perfectly stable for a production environment (my home LAN server is running FC1 too). Just use yum for updates.
                          "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                          It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                            Would you be so kind as to point out what configuration was unstable running what software?
                            Computer Help Forum
                            An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Originally posted by WildEye

What are good choices?
                              All Web hosts are recommending either Fedora or RedHat Enterprise or ES = Support for 2 CPUs and 8GB-RAM or AS = Support for up to 16 CPUs and 64GB-RAM , Both have automatic updating threw up2date, and will also update the kernel, if you set it up to do so.
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X