Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mist
    Wow nice domain

Just a note.The fllash header will give users at 800 X 600 resolution a horizontal scrollbar which is a users worst nightmar
    BTW, Mist. The flash header does not cause a horizontal scrollbar.... The flash header resizes to all browser sizes... even small ones..... The horizonal scroll bar is caused by the default vB table size

Comment

I just visited the site. I do like the header, but, on my dual Xeon all 4 cpu usage graphs were at 63% each for the whole time I was at the site.
      I don't often surf with this box.
      I know if I had hit the site with my regular workstation I would experienced choppy mouse movement and choppy page schrolling. I don't know if there is anything that can be done to manage memory in flash application. I assume there is since I've been to many flash sites and only a few have ever used up as much resources as this one.
      Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
        I just visited the site. I do like the header, but, on my dual Xeon all 4 cpu usage graphs were at 63% each for the whole time I was at the site.
        I don't often surf with this box.
        I know if I had hit the site with my regular workstation I would experienced choppy mouse movement and choppy page schrolling. I don't know if there is anything that can be done to manage memory in flash application. I assume there is since I've been to many flash sites and only a few have ever used up as much resources as this one.
        If you experience chopping page scrolling, please select a different style, they you can not have any chop.

BTW, if you visit Macromedia, you will see that they state that they design Shockwave to use the max CPU possible to insure timeliness of their animations.... 63% is low for todays PC .... you have a nice box!

OBTW, the folks who we value opinons on the UNIX forums are not the folks who login once... it is the user who contribute day-in and day-out for years, and they are happy and do not complain... of course, many use other styles, but when we look at the status of who is using what style... the new 'Green Flash' style is used extensively and people are NOT changing to other styles.

Neo

Comment

Thanks for the notes..... with I had free time to continue to discuss the merits of flash, CPUs, and broadband, but I don't.

If you have a button suggestions, please post. Thanks!

Warmest Holiday Wishes,

Neo

Comment

i agree with what mist said about switching to a non flash header by default

also i belive Mist does custom button sets ;D if your willing to pay abit

Comment

Originally posted by Faranth
              i agree with what mist said about switching to a non flash header by default

also i belive Mist does custom button sets ;D if your willing to pay abit
              No thanks.

The old saying still holds true, "you catch a lot more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"

As far as how to administer the UNIX.COM forums. We take our suggestions primarily from the long standing, contributing members. They like, as I do, the flash header, and have agreed to make the flash header the default.

Even Cambodia has broadband these days

Neo
              Last edited by silkroad; Thu 11th Dec '03, 5:05pm.

Comment

yes but your files are most lilkly 56k users ;D

Comment

Well, I don't know. I'm running on 1400x1050 right now, and the 100% width of the Flash really puts a hit to performance. I'm not talking about just processor usage -- everything. WinAmp skips, Trillian takes about 20 seconds to pop up, and Photoshop & Traktor DJ just white out. Flash, in a limited and functional use, is good. But having a huge flash banner that doesn't really do anything to ease the site's functions/navigation does more harm than good.

Anyways, for those of you who don't really like the Flash, just use this style: http://www.unix.com/?styleid=35

:)

Comment

Anyways, for those of you who don't really like the Flash, just use this style: http://www.unix.com/?styleid=35

Agreed. For those of you with performance problems, try:

http://www.unix.com/?styleid=35

That is quite a popular style too!

Most of our users are not 56K users, based on our experience and a 100k files is not impossible to cache .....

BTW, Direct Pixel, running the Flash in an active window with WinAmp etc works fine for my platform..... no skipping, no problems:

P4 2.4 Ghz, 1GB RAM........

Maybe you should ask Santa for an upgrade
                    Last edited by silkroad; Thu 11th Dec '03, 9:00pm.

Comment

Seems to be working for some people:

Code:
                         grep /1.swf access_log | grep " 200 " | wc -l

We have noticed that some of our members have moved back to their favorite style and others love/keep the flash style... again, that is the beauty of vB, just pick the skin you like

Who knows, someday I might change the default again Nothing in life lasts forever Not even "THE GREEN FLASH"..... !!!!!

Keep up the good work!

Merry Holiday Cheer,
                      Neo
                      Last edited by silkroad; Thu 11th Dec '03, 9:02pm.

Comment

I too think the flash is to large. There is no point for it to occupy that much space or require a beefy machine in order for visitors to preview your forums. I would replace the default style with a more user friendly skin, and have the flash one as an option. Thats just my opinion, as is many others, and it is your site so you can do whatever you want with it. Remember though, you are talking to some pretty knowledgeable folks here.
                        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

the flash is AWFUL!
                          and it freezes my page when i go fullsize, and it slows ur crap down like hell.
                          Car Chops & Discussion
                          NerdoPlex / My Nerdy Den of Design

Comment

it looks very nice, BUT my cpu usage goes up to 100% when watching your forums.

my system:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 528 MB RAM, IE6, WinXP Prof. SP1, 1280x1024 resolution, 32bit colors, Geforce 4 TI 4600 with 128 MB RAM

Comment

Working...
                            X