Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please suggest buttons for new UNIX.COM flash theme

Hi,

Please look at our draft new Flash header/banner at www.unix.com and suggest a new button set...

Dark Green?

If you have a link to some buttons that might work, please be so kind and post a link !

Thanks!!!!!!

Neo

Nevermind

Nevermind, we found some buttons we like

BTW, we could not get the the vButtons program to work with Photoshop 7.something... seems it only works with 6.something?

Neo

Comment

Wow nice domain

Just a note.The fllash header will give users at 800 X 600 resolution a horizontal scrollbar which is a users worst nightmar
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

that flash is higly unessary, its like windows XP eyecandy >.< on a unix box

Comment

The good news is that you can use another skin if you like

Originally posted by Faranth
          The results and response to the flash UNIX.COM header have been overwhelmingly positive from our small base of only 34000+ users. Some of the top UNIX pros in the business have called it 'a true work of art'... other have commented that the new flash is 'very soothing to their eyes'......

The good news about vB is that you can choose the style you prefer. So, to the poster who just said that they prefer something 'more plain', we certainly have many of those to choose from. I suspect you are not a UNIX forum user and not a contributor because the contributors, the people with skin-in-the-game helping UNIX users from all over the world, love the flash banner.

Neo
          Last edited by silkroad; Wed 10th Dec '03, 9:23pm.

Comment

Really wouldn't worry about it. It isn't your site now is it?
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

no but when i was browsing it seem to lag my browser quite abit. maybe it was because it was full screen at 1600x1200 >.<

Comment

no but when i was browsing it seem to lag my browser quite abit. maybe it was because it was full screen at 1600x1200 >.<
                There is no doubt that our flash designers are pushing the envelope in banner animation. If you don't have a powerful processor, the CPU usages can be a drag on your system.
                Fortunately, we have users who have powerful CPUs who love the beauty of a 'true work of art' as some of our users have proclaimed. Others, with a dull CPU, can enjoy the site with lots of other, less CPU intensive, styles.

We actually had to 'cut back' on the animation because we have an even more incredible banner, but we are waiting 'till next year' as Shockwave and the technology advances to 'catch up' with our fun ideas.

As for me, sometimes I sit and watch the animation and 'meditate' often coming up with new ideas about work! It is really great. We have an 'intentional glitch' in the animation, true to the theme 'there is a glitch in the matrix'... and if you look long enough, you might see some unix commands you missed before

It is a true work of art and the next version is even more awesome!! Neo

Comment

Originally posted by Mist
                  Wow nice domain

Just a note.The fllash header will give users at 800 X 600 resolution a horizontal scrollbar which is a users worst nightmar
                  Uses with 800x600 resolution can chose a less complex, basic skin. We have many more styles/skins for the less-powerful or smaller resolution users out there.

However, our default will remain a highly animated flash work-of-art toward the technology future, not toward the past. We believe strongly that Flash MX is the next-generation platform for multimedia communications.

Neo

Comment

it is nice, but i dont considering my 1.5(1800+)ghz to be a "dull" processor imo its probally an average processor but the flash is nice if the window is szied down abit

^^

Comment

it is nice, but i dont considering my 1.5(1800+)ghz to be a "dull" processor imo its probally an average processor but the flash is nice if the window is szied down abit

^^
                      It's "dull" if it can't run this flash animation in the brower sandbox without pegging the CPU Then again, Shockwave plugins can be CPU hoggies. They will also get better over time.... like I kindly typed before we are pushing the envelope with continual animation..... according to our designer.

I wanted more.... but she said NO!!!!! We are at the limit of Flash capability at this point in time !!!

Neo

BTW, I really nonconcur with any comments that equate Flash MX with XP.... Flash is a brower technology that is independent of the underlying OS.
                      Last edited by silkroad; Wed 10th Dec '03, 8:29pm.

Comment

well its peggin my processor up at about 95% and im just running winamp mirc and aim.

www.2advanced.com 's site doesnt do that even with their random water generator

Comment

well its peggin my processor up at about 95% and im just running winamp mirc and aim.

www.2advanced.com 's site doesnt do that even with their random water generator
                          2advanced has much less animation....... that is why it pegs the CPU less Their water generator/site goes from about 70 - 80 percent on my box. Our 'more animated' loop goes around 80 to 90 recent CPU, hence we are about 10 percent at this point in the animation process. YES!!! Would be great SOMEDAY when this is about 1 percent.... we could do so much more!

BTW: Their latest site "Prophecy' is not so good, IMNSHO. The water scene does nothing for me...... I liked the original site much better...

On the other hand, with all due respect, 2advanced designers have been the 'benchmark' in Flash and we love their transitions.......
                          Last edited by silkroad; Wed 10th Dec '03, 9:22pm.

Comment

Well i won't comment anymore than this. You're site is directed at an overall audience and you should at least make your default skin compatible for everyone - that includes 56k users and those running at lower resolutions. That's standard web-practice. Fair enough offer a nice alternative for your users running at a faster connection but it's crazy to give the average user like myself a site that has to be scrolled horizontally and brings up the CPU.
                            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Mist
                              Well i won't comment anymore than this. You're site is directed at an overall audience and you should at least make your default skin compatible for everyone - that includes 56k users and those running at lower resolutions. That's standard web-practice. Fair enough offer a nice alternative for your users running at a faster connection but it's crazy to give the average user like myself a site that has to be scrolled horizontally and brings up the CPU.
                              Noted, but no

Site is targeted for broadband users.. sorry.... yo u can set your skin how you like..... thanks for your thoughts..
                              Last edited by silkroad; Thu 11th Dec '03, 12:33pm.

Comment

Working...
                              X