customizing VB3 look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• customizing VB3 look

Someone offered to cutomize my vb3 for me, as they are good with graphics.
    I dont think this person knows anything about vbulletin or has ever worked with it. Is there a way that this person could customize it without the risk of getting it stolen? I could limit ftp access to my /forum directory, but would he need control panel access? Thanks.

Tell him to take a screenshot of forumhome, thread views, postbit, all that great stuff. He can make a .psd (or whatever he is using) from that. I know it's a good technique I've used before. He sends you the .psd and you can slice and skin

Just something I've done before and it worked pretty well.. (and also made easy style integration into rest of site much easier because I had a big .psd instead of lotsa little bits)

Regards,
    Patrick
    Patrick Paul

"Better to stay quiet and have others think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima
      Someone offered to cutomize my vb3 for me, as they are good with graphics.
      I dont think this person knows anything about vbulletin or has ever worked with it. Is there a way that this person could customize it without the risk of getting it stolen? I could limit ftp access to my /forum directory, but would he need control panel access? Thanks.
      He doesn't even need access to ftp since everything is done in the templates and that's all he needs. He shouldn't have ftp access and shouldn't touch any of the php files if he is only doing design.

And yes, he would need access to the control panel because the templates are there, he doesn't need to know anything about vbulletin because most of the templates are plain html. Just give him a little explanation about what are the conditionals with a "don't touch them" advise.

If you want to be real safe don't give him access to the real forum, you could password protect a directory, name it "testvb" and let him work over there, a second installation of vbulletin just for doing your template and not for production. The license says something like:

If you have a valid licence, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our licence verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public.

Comment

he would need access to a blank folder for images

Comment

Never thought of setting up a test vb! Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X