[vB3] How to: Change the look of the first post in thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [vB3] How to: Change the look of the first post in thread

This isn't really a template modification, I'm going to show you how to customize the look of the first post in each thread. With vB2, you had to hack the files to do this, but with vB3 and template conditionals this become very easy.

All you have to do, is open the "postbit" template and add this at the top:
    Code:
    <if condition="$post['postcount'] == 1">
    <!-- The code to built the first post in the thread -->
    <else />
    And add this at the bottom:
    Code:
    </if>
    Now, change the comment in the code you added to the HTML you want to use to show the first post - and that's it. You can base this on the current look of postbit, or create your own design.

Good luck, and share your modified postbit's if you like!
    Chen Avinadav
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

thanks ill use this

Comment

Chen how change the condition if want some forums to do this?

thankz...

Comment

How does vB do this? I mean, does it actually parse for that? Wouldn't that slow down the rendering?

Comment

god! thats so easy! I love vb3! lol

Comment

Hey chen, what about forum id? a conditional statment that would show a different post if its in a certain forum

Comment

Originally posted by Xelation
              Hey chen, what about forum id? a conditional statment that would show a different post if its in a certain forum
              Yes, that would be nice Thanx Chen!

Comment

Originally posted by Chen
                Good luck, and share your modified postbit's if you like!
                Thanks Chen! I was designing a temporary CMS-like system hoping that I could adapt that vB2 work-around, but this way is much easier!

When I get things working I'll post links.

Comment

this could also be used to make the message change at a certain date, or a certain user would get a different message

Comment

omg... I got an idea to make a cool addition to my forums.....

Comment

This is cool, simple, and it gives ideas.
                      V1 Bad Bunny Emoticons > (For Dark BGs)
                      Squarehead V1 Emoticons -
                      Let Users select postbit style!

Comment

Can someone post a screen shot of what this hack does? sorry kinda lost

Comment

Well, it would look different for each person that did it. All this allows you to do is make the first post in each thread look different than all the rest of them.

Comment

Sorry like how would it look? I just want to see what it looks like. Can someone please post a picture of what kinda difference we are talking about? Thanks fellas

Comment

That's just it! It looks different for each person who does it. You have to know some html in order to use this. You make one design for the first post, and another for all other posts. So it will look different for each person who does it!

If you don't know some level of html and familiarity of vbulletin templates, then this will not be that easy of a mod for you to do.

Examples of use: Give a particular forum a style that uses this mod, and design it so the first post looks like an article, and all the replies look more like comments to the article.

Use a forum with this mod as a blog, and strip down all the replies to bare minimum.

Do whatever your little heart can desire.
                              Last edited by Bad Bunny; Sat 13th Sep '03, 11:50pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X