• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

filburt got my vote.

Comment

yup. good job filburt.

Comment

you can use images of other intellectual property as long as you're not claiming it as your own or using it for a mascot. Example: how nintendo sites put mario in their designs.
        Last edited by d2alio; Wed 4th Dec '02, 5:24pm.
        Dameon White, Lead Designer
        InsideThePixel.com "Web Tailoring Inside Out"
        vB Clients: AlienSoup.com (vBotm) | WiredGamers.com (vBotm)
        09.05.03: WiredGamer Releases Its Skin! Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by d2alio
          you can use images of other intellectual property as long as you're not claiming it as your own or using it for a mascot. Example: how nintendo sites put mario in their designs.
          I think you may want to look at some of the copyright messages Nickledeon etc have made. Was involved in getting the Fred Flintstone character as a logo (yes read logo, ie is used prominantly as is a certain character from a Nickledeon show) for a company downunder. And no you simply can't just copy it and make a few changes.

The point l was making and this seems to escape Jelsoft's ever vigilent piracy police, is that to use a piece of intellectual property as a logo without noting the ownership of that logo is actually breaking the law.

You will find the nintendo sites have actually got permission to use the Mario character.

Actually l don't really give a rats about this award and am wondering why people are going to the lengths they are in obtaining it. IMO the whole thing is being degraded anyway.

Feel free to inform the owners of this board that if any of our sites ever come up for nomination then delete the nomination.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberMoa
            I think you may want to look at some of the copyright messages Nickledeon etc have made. Was involved in getting the Fred Flintstone character as a logo (yes read logo, ie is used prominantly as is a certain character from a Nickledeon show) for a company downunder. And no you simply can't just copy it and make a few changes.

The point l was making and this seems to escape Jelsoft's ever vigilent piracy police, is that to use a piece of intellectual property as a logo without noting the ownership of that logo is actually breaking the law.

You will find the nintendo sites have actually got permission to use the Mario character.

Actually l don't really give a rats about this award and am wondering why people are going to the lengths they are in obtaining it. IMO the whole thing is being degraded anyway.

Feel free to inform the owners of this board that if any of our sites ever come up for nomination then delete the nomination.

Cheers.
            If you are still referring to my use of Filburt as an avatar then I still have no idea what this has to do with my actual site. Look at the current one and the latest design I have on my computer (screenshot attached). You'll see absolutely no copyrighted material (other than mine of course) and I can produce the Photoshop files for every single graphic on my site.

Also as the rules state if you have a dispute regarding the contest you should PM s.molinari about it.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
              If you are still referring to my use of Filburt as an avatar then I still have no idea what this has to do with my actual site.
              It's just sour grapes.

Avatar infringement... Pfft. That's pretty desperate.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                No offense but 90% of the avatars out there nobody created themselves. For example, IDN, your avatar has a ghost of a vB3 logo, which Jelsoft created, not you.

I don't want this to turn into a great flamefest like the other BOTM threads though...
                omg so wait a minute someone is attacking some dude's avatar? OMG I thought this was for some image built into his design or something. Even then it wouldn't matter as long as the site maintains a copyright stating that all images are copyright of their respected owners.

OMG an avatar!? Tell me you're joking.
                Dameon White, Lead Designer
                InsideThePixel.com "Web Tailoring Inside Out"
                vB Clients: AlienSoup.com (vBotm) | WiredGamers.com (vBotm)
                09.05.03: WiredGamer Releases Its Skin! Click Here!

Comment

I think he is referring to the TurtleTips.com design which uses a copyrighted image as its logo.

However this has nothing to do with the forums so it's a little silly.

I'm not defending filburt, I'm just pointing out the facts...

Comment

Originally posted by Arkham
                    It's just sour grapes.

Avatar infringement... Pfft. That's pretty desperate.
                    Arkham how exactly would this be sour grapes, as stated above somewhere we don't give a rats about this bogus award and like a lot of board owners don't actually bother with this site very much.

Just wanted to point out there's more to boards than putting your currently online time frame out to two hours and having a design.

Jungleman,

Okie dokie thanks for pointing that one out. As stated clearly this award is more about design and less about instant communities.

Cheers off to visit a couple of sites which get more than a post a day and they may not be the best looking places in the world but people surely do enjoy themselves.

Have fun.

Comment

Please take personal gripes to PM and private email. Let's get back on topic.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

CyberMoa:
                        You don't have to "point anything out", as most of us already treat this as an award for the forum/community as a whole. It's only a vocal minority that have tried to make it about graphics and visual design. What this has to do with avatars and IP infringement is beyond me.

I agree that Intellectual Property infringement is (or should be) sufficient grounds for a forum's disqualification, but avatars fall more under fair-use exceptions than infringement. I think Molinari would make a comment if a forum made inappropriate use of copyrighted material.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberMoa
                          Arkham how exactly would this be sour grapes, as stated above somewhere we don't give a rats about this bogus award and like a lot of board owners don't actually bother with this site very much.

Just wanted to point out there's more to boards than putting your currently online time frame out to two hours and having a design.

Jungleman,

Okie dokie thanks for pointing that one out. As stated clearly this award is more about design and less about instant communities.

Cheers off to visit a couple of sites which get more than a post a day and they may not be the best looking places in the world but people surely do enjoy themselves.

Have fun.
                          As to your comment about online times and forum activity... that is your opinion, and not necessarily that of the entire community.

If a small forum has a great community and consists of great people, where is your place to go around telling everyone that the froum is crap?

Like it was stated in the rules, the grounds for judging the boards are your personal thoughts about it. They are not about a set number of conditionals that everyone has to take into account.

If you have a problem with smaller forums, fine, but don't go around bashing them just because your forum is bigger or more active.
                          :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                            Like it was stated in the rules, the grounds for judging the boards are your personal thoughts about it. They are not about a set number of conditionals that everyone has to take into account.
                            Well said, and that's a great place to end this recent visit to Off-Topicopolis.

Let's see some more aggravatingly subjective mini-reviews of the forums everyone didn't vote for. They're always interesting.

Comment

Hmm, not an easy pick.

Comment

wow, what a great bunch of sites up for vote. I almost don't want to vote this time, cause there are so many unique and original designs (except for 1, which will go unnamed).

Anyways, my vote goes to radiomute, cause it's unique and I like the faded type of graphics. Runner up is Mr. Filburt's forums, webdesignforums... that's a pretty sweet tables layout you got there filburt, reminds me of fusetalk in a way. It needs more graphics though and when it loaded in my browser, the tables looked messed up (until it had completely loaded). Still, nice job man.
                                -
                                Visit the Web Scripts Directory @ http://www.scriptz.com
                                -
                                PHP, CGI, Perl, ASP, JavaScript, CFML, Python and more!

-

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X