does upgrading overide hacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does upgrading overide hacks?

If I am upgrading to a new version of vb..

weather it be 2.2.7 to 2.2.8

or even to 3.0

will upgrading remove all the custom templates, hacks, and all that stuff?

When you upgrade -

Custom templates will NOT be changed.

Because you are replacing your old PHP files with new ones, all hacks to PHP files will be removed. So yes, you will lose your file hacks.

To overcome this:

Upgrade using a file compare program like Beyond Compare or Araxis Merge (this is what I do - I have over 160 hacks, and doing it this way takes me 2 hours). Otherwise, replace the old files with the new, and reapply the hacks manually.

Comment

How do you use this file compare program?

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
        Upgrade using a file compare program like Beyond Compare or Araxis Merge (this is what I do - I have over 160 hacks, and doing it this way takes me 2 hours). Otherwise, replace the old files with the new, and reapply the hacks manually.
        Or, if you clicked the Install button for each hack, you can just reinstall them using the list at vB.org as a reference to the 160 (!) that you installed.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
          Or, if you clicked the Install button for each hack, you can just reinstall them using the list at vB.org as a reference to the 160 (!) that you installed.
          what do you mean install button?

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
            Actually, it's probably closer to 200 now - I've made many personal customizations to my site too.

Originally posted by cyr0n_k0r
            How do you use this file compare program?
            Download the program, and it will have a HELP sections. Essentially you open 2 windows, one with your original file, the other with the new code, and compare the 2 - you can then move code from 1 window to the other.

what do you mean install button?
            That is the install button at the bottom of hack threads at www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin

That is the install button at the bottom of hack threads at www.vbulletin.org
              and what does it do? How does it have anything to do with my site and its own hacks being overridden by a new version of VB?

Comment

Upgrading always overwrites your hacked files. There is no magincal way of avoiding this. You will have to reapply your hacks one way or another.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

and what does it do? How does it have anything to do with my site and its own hacks being overridden by a new version of VB?
                  That has NOTHING to do with your site - the install button at vB.org helps you keep track of what hacks you've installed from that site, and how many people have installed each hack. What filburt1 means is that after upgrading when you have lost your hacks, you return to vB.org and look at your installed hacks list, and manually reinstall all your hacks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X