Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about styles, hacks, templates, and replacements

Hello all,

I'm basicly a neophyte when it comes to vbulletin, and all the stuff to make it run, but I am learning, a couple of questions if you good people don't mind.

1. What are Replacements, I figure they must replace something, but what do they do? what are there purpose?

2. If someone makes a style for an older version of Vbulletin will it work on v. 2.2.7? or will it mess everything up.

3. If you install a hack for a style, say "all the hacks for the mac os X" style, and than I upload a new style, will the hacks mess up the style they are not made for

and finally,

4.what is the diffrence between a style and a template?

Re: Question about styles, hacks, templates, and replacements

Originally posted by vkrazzy
    Hello all,

I'm basicly a neophyte when it comes to vbulletin, and all the stuff to make it run, but I am learning, a couple of questions if you good people don't mind.

1. What are Replacements, I figure they must replace something, but what do they do? what are there purpose? umm, say you have a style inwhich you want the same templates that another has, its on the lines of that

2. If someone makes a style for an older version of Vbulletin will it work on v. 2.2.7? or will it mess everything up. Yes it will work

3. If you install a hack for a style, say "all the hacks for the mac os X" style, and than I upload a new style, will the hacks mess up the style they are not made for No, every style has its own templates

and finally,

4.what is the diffrence between a style and a template?Templates are pretty much what makes your board avaliable to alter and stuff. Hundreds of templates. A style is just the banner,colors, and stuff you may have. Like say if vb.com and vb.org where the same site, that would be two different styles. I have a bunch of styles, kinda fun to keep making them and seeing what your members liek best.
    hope that helps

Comment

Yeah, the more that I read and ask questions the more I'm understanding it, another question thou, I thought you said that hacks didn't effect the defalt style or any other style that I might have on my Board.

I just uploaded the mac os:X style, and am begining to install the hacks, and right away on the first hack it stats this

"Open root/index.php

Find:

PHP:

// get total posts

Above add:

PHP:

// Top poster
      $topposters=$DB_site->query_first("SELECT username,posts,userid FROM user ORDER BY posts desc LIMIT 1");
      // Top Threads starter
      $toptstarter=$DB_site->query_first("SELECT COUNT(*) AS count,postuserid,postusername FROM thread GROUP BY postuserid ORDER BY count DESC LIMIT 1");

save en close.

Then open forumhome template and add the following whereever you want:

For Top poster:

PHP:

<a href="member.php?&action=getinfo&userid=$topposters[userid]\"><b>$topposters[username]</b></a>($topposters[posts])

For Top threads starter:

PHP:

<a href="member.php?&action=getinfo&userid=$toptstarter[postuserid]"><b>$toptstarter[postusername]</b></a>($toptstarter[count])

Done.

is there a diffrent version of on index.php that I should be using I only found one. and the next question that I have is that it states to put blank and blank in the "forumshome" template when I go under mac template I have "forumhome_shoutbox,
      forumhome_todayloggedinuser, forumhome_todayloggedinusers
      do I need to add the FORUMSHOME template,

ahhhhhhhhh, help me please.

Comment

the hack wont mess up the default style, adding a hack just makes it so you can add the templats to default so you can have it on that style aswell.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X