Critique Needed: New Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique Needed: New Look

After little over a month, I've released the new look for my forums. Much of the code was done by a member who is really good with HTML ( Alex Taylor ) who also designed the website (I closed down my site and moved over the forums to my friends site since I figured he could have more use for it).

I did many of the graphics, minus most of the icons, which were done by KMR over at http://www.exegone.com/ (they were used with his permisson).

I wanted to do something different than the last design, but a lot of the coding was a bit too complex for me to handle (Im still very much newbie-ish to HTML, but I learned a lot by working on this style with my co-designer). However Alex was great, everytime I asked him to do something he would have it finished in an hour or less, and it looked better than I expected.

We created our own postbit at first. It looked like the default vB one pretty much, only I converted the buttons to text, aligned them right, and Alex removed that annoying 2px border space between posts. We also had a nice thread title/time thing going on, however we had problems with the "Report this Post" and "IP Logged" as well as sigs being aligned almost in the middle in many threads. We tried to fix it but it was a huge pain in the ass so I decided to use the Postbit from Craig Armstrong's UBB/Opentopic theme. We customized it further and I really like it. I know I know it looks like UBB/OT but truthfully I just like the way it looks better.

I like the footer, but Im still not sure of the header. Im probly going to change it a bit next week, something more curvy, and a different font for the User CP section.

Anyway Im really proud of it, and hope ppl like it. I'd like any comments and critiques so I can improve on this style more. Thanks!

Forum: http://www.pcfx.cc/vb
    forums: pcfx.cc
    gallery: here

Btw, here is a screenshot of what the forumhome looks like when logged in:

http://mx3d.pcfx.cc/temp/loggedin.jpg

Comment

I went to the same school as Alex, and was in the same Graphics class as him. hehe, I always used to boss the little guy around, I was in 12, he was in 11. hehe.
      Anyway, looks good, good job
      Board of the Month: November
      Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
      Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
      vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

Your enthusiasm for your board comes through loud and clear... so nice to feel the energy in your post. I think you've done a nice job, creating a monochromatic look. I noticed two things, in my visit. First, the navigation buttons sort of run together... even though I run my own vB board, I was at first confused by "profile register". I was like huh? Would you consider putting some kind of separator between the buttons? Here's what I mean by a separator...

Comment

Second, I wonder if you meant for your copyright notice to appear like the attachment below? Do you see how MX3D is not on the same line as PCFX?

Comment

Looks good... you might want to kern the links at the top a little more tightly though (profile, register, faq, home) I think it would look better plus it would help distiguish the words from each other better.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Yeah like I said I've kinda been weary of the header. I never did like the font so I gotta find one thats smaller and make them stand out seperately. As for the footer, thanks for pointing that out. I frequently forget about those running windowed browsers or those on lower resolutions (I use 1600x1200). I'll fix that asap.

Comment

You never stop doing good work, I love your boards and your creativity.

Maybe rollovers for the top nav, if you really need to do something. Personally I like them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X