Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My site is now finally up. If anyone would like to see it, please goto:

www.speed-street.com/forums

I'm not a high level graphics designer, but as I've stated before, I am pretty decent at making interfaces look decent.

The only thing not apparent on that board is where my "Users Currently Online" is...If you hover over the Number of Users on Forum Home, it pops up

Please, let me know what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by I¢E
      haha. Murmurs does not classify as a being modified. He poorly stuck forums in a site design, which through off the directory tables making text look distorted and he reversed the order of the postbit.

"Wow! I reversed the order of my postbit and stuck the boards in the center of my site designed! I did so much modification!"
      Excuse me? Every single template is modified and we did much more than just throw a board into a site design. And actually the board design was done first.

Know of what you speak before doing so please

Comment

ummm....does anyone have anything to say about my board?

Comment

jus got a new forum makeover come check it out, I started witha flesh clean slate on membership and all www.mindsights.com/community

Comment

Man you guys use a lot of hacks and stuff =)

All these hacks. Are they a substitute for a main site or is it yust for fun ?
            Pimp Daddy Croft Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Paul J
              vbtemplates runs pretty quick, but exelation is horendous.

UMM right now XLation has some errors
              but those are just about the nicest looking forums ive ever seen.

Some places 56kers dont need to go. Kinda like bringing a wet noodle to a gun fight.

If you know photoshop that well. You have to showcase it somewhere.
              Granted 64 seconds is a bit long.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedStreet
                ummm....does anyone have anything to say about my board?
                That's impressive

Comment

Originally posted by croft

One thing I found I dislike about boards with highly changed layouts is when they become difficult to navigate through, or hard to read when the links are buttons with small text, ect. VBTemplates, while not my favorite site lookwise, is still excellent in that it's easy to navigate, quick to load even on my dialup, and isn't too confusing. The layout, as I said, not to my liking, is still well put together as well. Other sites I rate up in there is the Zealron forums, Siegedom forums and the speedstreet one just mentioned here. There's a couple of skins on Zealron though that I can't stand.

As for what modification means... I think it can mean layout (template modification) or hacking (changes to the php files). BOTH change the board in some manner, be it layout or function. I think it's rather silly acutaly to say one's not a modification. If you change the VBB files from their original 'out of the box' state, that's 'modifying' your forums, correct?

(and while still very much under developement by someone (me) who's trying to learn PHP and how to work with the templates and VB in general.... www.gatheringsouls.net Not a site that would interrest many people here, but I like it Not modified as much as others listed here, but I'm trying for a forum look and function that works. PS, any thoughts on proper ettiquette for adding proper credits to authors of any hacks I've used on my board?)

Comment

Originally posted by lost myself
                    That's impressive
                    It looks alright, but I personally do not like the purple...but nice mods.

Comment

• Heavily modified
                      http://www.forumdoctor.com/community/index.php
                      You're my Prince of Peace
                      And I will live my life for You

Comment

• Originally posted by TheComputerGuy
                        It looks alright, but I personally do not like the purple...but nice mods.
                        Good point...

We are planning on going with a lot darker scheme in the near future....getting rid of the crappy coloring we had in place forever

Comment

• Note ahead:
                          I know this is a long post but it's worth reading (imo), so

^_^

Originally posted by Xelation
                          what makes you say that?

I've edited more than 200 templates and added about 50 hacks.
                          Is that all?

*shrugs*

Once KFN 5 is done, I'm pretty sure it'll be the most hacked, tweaked & customized vBulletin-based place on the Net. I did a bit of a rough check, and I currently have about 750-800 modified / custom (new) templates. Next to that, I installed some 70~ hacks from vb.org and about 250 from myself

With KFN 5, there will be the GeckoSkin, which is a never-before-seen feature, a Style for a vBulletin that rewrites the entire system, which also allows each user to use their own color set Entirely, for the display of the site. All the design templates (some 900?) will be rewritten, many of the files will be adjusted to accomodate for the integral difference that comes with GeckoSkin, and then there's even way more stuff, like the integrated Pocket Change system, the integrated Shop, all the features you can unlock, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Overall, I think once KFN 5 is done, there'll be about 500 file hacks, many of which will simply be complete files added to the vB (like my member3.php which holds all the stuff for KFN5's features. Currently it only has the Shop and Journal system covered, and it's already 769 lines. 4 more of such features are to be added ), and about 1700-2000 modified or new templates in total. 7 Styles, 6 which are alike but only differ in color & images, the 7th being the completely innovative and globally unique GeckoSkin style (example of a showthread in GeckoSkin: http://geckoskin.kurafire.com note: still not 100% finished, and IT WON'T PROPERLY WORK IN INTERNET EXPLORER (because it's a skin that only works for browsers who follow the Internet Standards correctly, which IE does not even come close to))
                          And something of a total of 20 features that will be based on the whole vB system, but basically form the overall site (like a Graphics Tournaments system, or the Tutorials, or the Reviews, etc. etc. etc.

Originally posted by Sinecure
                          Well I just released Pixeljunction Version 3, I think its a a highly modified Board
                          Check it out, http://www.pixeljunction.com
                          Page generated in 0.41637099 seconds (37.36% PHP - 62.64% MySQL) with 62 queries

That's not exactly efficient, especially not if it's your site entry page

But then, on his forumhome:

Page generated in 0.12774205 seconds (78.19% PHP - 21.81% MySQL) with 14 queries.
                          I'm rather curious as to how the hell you did that, 14 queries on Forumhome. Quite impressive, so do tell please. ^_^ I'm a sucker for efficiency and optimization (I work on Cu2.nl, just knowing that system will make you a sucker for that, too ^_^)

Originally posted by Sn2
                          You still spelt Jelsoft wrong
                          spelled*
                          he also had "Linited" in the image instead of "limited", but you fail to see that (as did most people for some reason)..

(just messing with ya ^_^)

Originally posted by croft

With me, I mostly add hacks for increased functionality and dynamic-ness. And fun, of course. The Now Playing hack is a lot of fun, and it added a lot to the boards.
                          But after Project 3.5 and KFN version 4, I focused on hacking my boards for more efficiency, i.e. decrease query usage, improve performance, etc. These also help speed up the place, which is a great added benefit
                          As for 'substitute for a main site' - I dunno, all the 'hacks' I'm currently writing are the features of my main site, more or less, but they rely heavily on the vB system cos I'm using its engine for them
                          ahwell..

Comment

• Originally posted by 1337Devil
                            I'm rather curious as to how the hell you did that, 14 queries on Forumhome. Quite impressive, so do tell please. ^_^ I'm a sucker for efficiency and optimization (I work on Cu2.nl, just knowing that system will make you a sucker for that, too ^_^)

14 queries on forumhome are the default for logged out users
                            You're my Prince of Peace
                            And I will live my life for You

Comment

• Wow, what a lot of work... Hope your members appreciate it and give lots of donations because seems like it would take away from school, work, and family life to be able to maintain that, especially since you will probably have to rewrite everything for vBulletin 3.0
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Originally posted by ULTIMATESSJ
                                Mine has been customised a lot, my postbit stretches further then the page, i've added a lot of template changed, and around 70 hacks
                                What is the URL?

Mix
                                Did you see that big yellow Suzuki? Oh, sorry, it's gone . . .
                                The TopCHOON house music site & community

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X