Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Since you are German, you might visit vBulletin Germany. YOu might find additional help there.

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Replacement tags are basically a form of shorthand that's used in the templates. Here's an example:

<smallfont> is a replacement tag for the <font face="blah blah blah" size=1> tag.

It makes things much easier when modifying templates, and also allows you to change the font from a centralized location (your admin cp).

Leave a comment:

• rrottman
    replied
    Well, thanks once more. I am amazed about the speed of you answering!

Now I get even more confused... what are replacement sets? Can you explain (as detailed as possible)!

(I promise to summarize all the information chrystal clear in one single posting and post it elsewhere on this site for others to participate!!!)

Ralf

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by rrottman
    So I could do the following:
    1. Upload a style file.
    2. Do detailed changes via CONTROL PANEL.
    3. After finishing my changes download a new style file.

That's it?
    That's essentially it, except you don't really need to download the style unless you want to keep a local backup of it - which is a good idea just in case something goes wrong.

Also consider this, the style file contains not only the templates, but the replacement set as well:

Style set = Replacement set + Template set

Leave a comment:

• rrottman
    replied
    Great!

Sorry that I am sticking to this but I do have to fully understand it and I know from several posts that others have kind of the same basic understanding difficulties, too.

Am I correct in saying that during the day-to-day operation of the forum I don't need the .style file at all?

Its only purpose is to get uploaded and merged into the SQL-db initially or to share templates / themes with other installations or to forward my style?

So I could do the following:
    1. Upload a style file.
    2. Do detailed changes via CONTROL PANEL.
    3. After finishing my changes download a new style file.

That's it?

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Thank you very much. That made some points very clear. But I am still missing some key information:

- Does the .style file and the templates contain redundant information? Or is the information I see in the TEMPLATES - MODIFY section of CONTROL PANEL the information from the .style file important into the SQL-db? Can I consider the .style file as a dump from the database to import / export / exchange templates?

- Are you saying that everything and anything I can see within a vbPortal and vBulletin page is driven through code in templates which itself is contained in the database?

Thank you again.

Regards
    - Ralf
    The style file and the templates contain a bit more information than what's shown in the modify section of the control panel. If you go to Templates --> Modify, you will see that there are tons more templates, allowing you to change the tiniest detail of how your forum looks like.

Style files are not necessarily dumps of the database, since they are not in SQL format, but it's basically a backup of your templates.

Yes. Everything you see on vbPortal and vBulletin is template-driven.

Leave a comment:

• rrottman
    replied
    Thank you very much. That made some points very clear. But I am still missing some key information:

- Does the .style file and the templates contain redundant information? Or is the information I see in the TEMPLATES - MODIFY section of CONTROL PANEL the information from the .style file important into the SQL-db? Can I consider the .style file as a dump from the database to import / export / exchange templates?

- Are you saying that everything and anything I can see within a vbPortal and vBulletin page is driven through code in templates which itself is contained in the database?

Thank you again.

Regards
    - Ralf

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Re: Newbie: Concept?!

Hello there,

I came a long way... I used Postnuke and a lot of different bulletin systems in the past. None were convincing. Most of them were like crap! vBulletin is probably the most advanced and well done system I ever touched. (Excuse my English, I am from Germany.)

BUT:
    I am feeling a leck fo documentation. Could somebody please explain - perhaps as a reply to this posting - the basic concepts behind templates, styles and files and how they relate to each others?

I tried to find out myself and I downloaded and read the template reference guide but I just can't figure out the complete picture.

Maybe it makes sense to describe step by step what happens after a user requests a page. Here are some questions I do have:

1. Where do all the variables get set? Like $topmenu, etc.? Do they get set in the various different .php files? If I want to change some of them, what would be the best approach? Modify Template via CP? Modify Styles? Or use Notepad and edit the .php source files?

2. How do Styles, Templates and the .php source files relate to each others? Does the .style-file hold overall globals? And I want to change some, would I edit the file with a text editor or use CP?

3. How does the "creation" of the final page happen?
    Does the system lookup variables in a .style file and after that uses the template code scriptlets? What is the exact sequence for content assembly?

This might all sound stupid but I really do need the big picture. I am an advanced PHP programmer and I want to develope my own AddOns (of course I will release them to the community as soon as something is ready for release) but I do need to understand the Template / Style concept in detail.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Please answer here and copy [email protected] .

Best regards
    - Ralf
    www.flashcom.info
    1. All variables are set in the PHP files themselves. You can addmore variables by editing your global.php file.

2. The .style file is basically a package for all your templates. Styles = a group of templates. The PHP files generate no output themselves. Instead, for all output, they use the database to retrieve the templates, which are then displayed to the user.

3. When you load any page in vBulletin, the PHP file is called first. The PHP code gets run, and according to your user permissions, etc. that's determined by the PHP code, the code calls a template to show to you.

Leave a comment:

• rrottman
    started a topic Newbie: Concept?!

Newbie: Concept?!

Hello there,

I came a long way... I used Postnuke and a lot of different bulletin systems in the past. None were convincing. Most of them were like crap! vBulletin is probably the most advanced and well done system I ever touched. (Excuse my English, I am from Germany.)

BUT:
    I am feeling a leck fo documentation. Could somebody please explain - perhaps as a reply to this posting - the basic concepts behind templates, styles and files and how they relate to each others?

I tried to find out myself and I downloaded and read the template reference guide but I just can't figure out the complete picture.

Maybe it makes sense to describe step by step what happens after a user requests a page. Here are some questions I do have:

1. Where do all the variables get set? Like $topmenu, etc.? Do they get set in the various different .php files? If I want to change some of them, what would be the best approach? Modify Template via CP? Modify Styles? Or use Notepad and edit the .php source files?

2. How do Styles, Templates and the .php source files relate to each others? Does the .style-file hold overall globals? And I want to change some, would I edit the file with a text editor or use CP?

3. How does the "creation" of the final page happen?
    Does the system lookup variables in a .style file and after that uses the template code scriptlets? What is the exact sequence for content assembly?

This might all sound stupid but I really do need the big picture. I am an advanced PHP programmer and I want to develope my own AddOns (of course I will release them to the community as soon as something is ready for release) but I do need to understand the Template / Style concept in detail.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Please answer here and copy [email protected] .

Best regards
    - Ralf
    www.flashcom.info
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X