Showing latest threads on homepage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing latest threads on homepage

I'm looking to promote my forums a bit more and as such want to do something similar to what SitePoint have done at the bottom of their pages -- display the latest ten threads on the forums. Now I'm fairly familiar with PHP and MySQL but have little idea as to how the vBulletin system works. Can anyone tell me how I could get this information and display it. Of course only threads from non-private forums should be shown.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Well, there are a few options when it comes to this.

You can either use your own script, use vbPortal, or use a hack from vBulletin.

Personally, I wouldn't go with vbPortal, as it is a bit of an overkill for just displaying recent threads.

Your best bet would be looking for a hack like this at vBulletin.org. If you know enough PHP to access databases and display the data, then you can write your own.
    :)

Comment

theres a nice hack by steve i think or eva at VB.org i use it

www.nerdnations.com <- in use (has nice config option) and i am customizing mine via the .php file
      Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

There are two hacks at vbulletin.org that I'm aware of - neither by me.

PluhNews
        Last XX Posts on Non-vB Page
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I use bane's hack from talkloud.net to get the latest posts/threads/forum listed on my frontpage. It is a custom build file he has offered in his thread about vbstats (somewhere down that thread), and very easy to install too. Not sure if it is required to have vbstats installed too.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've got something up now

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X