Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xiphoid or other Template Gods - why does forumhome stretch on lower res?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rawnet
    replied
    FIXED

Hi,

Turns out this was caused by a nowrap in my forumshome_lastpostby template.

Think this happened when I applied the Yesterday/Today hack.

Anyway - all seems good now!!

Many thanks for the help,

Ross

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by rawnet
    Hi,

Yup, I got kinda scared at changing anything as I'd installed xiphoid's space-between-forums template modification (or whatever it is!!) which required changing things. Quite a few things in fact. And now I'm not sure what I need to change (which template I need to change!!) to fix it all.

Having a blonde moment I think!!

From the glance, would you be able to tell me what should be changed template-wise? I understand that this is asking a lot as every design is different, so no probs if I'm asking too much at this stage,

All the best,

Ross
    Since they are just template changes, you can revert to original (keep in mind, that if you applied other template hacks to that one template, it will be reverted too)

but
    everything that you install, can be undone

Leave a comment:

• rawnet
    replied
    Hi,

Yup, I got kinda scared at changing anything as I'd installed xiphoid's space-between-forums template modification (or whatever it is!!) which required changing things. Quite a few things in fact. And now I'm not sure what I need to change (which template I need to change!!) to fix it all.

Having a blonde moment I think!!

From the glance, would you be able to tell me what should be changed template-wise? I understand that this is asking a lot as every design is different, so no probs if I'm asking too much at this stage,

All the best,

Ross

Leave a comment:

• c-prompt
    replied
    Re: Width

Originally posted by rawnet
    I thought it all worked okay in that res so will check for absoloute values in the tables.

Cheers,

Ross
    I just looked briefly but there are quite a few instances of fixed widths. Simply removing them will fix this problem as I said above. Simple solution.

Leave a comment:

• Max_Radius
    replied
    if you have three <td>'s and two must be an exact measurement, make the third an *%

on my boards, left and right panels are 150 px wide, and the actual board rests in a *% width panel in the center.

Leave a comment:

• rawnet
    replied
    Width

Hi,

Yup, it's the width I'm concerned about - if you check out my forums in the 1024 resolution it requires horizontal scrolling - I thought it all worked okay in that res so will check for absoloute values in the tables.

Cheers,

Ross

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Designing and coding your web site in higher then 1280x resolutions might look cool, but the majority of internet does not have 22" screens and still uses 1024x resolution the most!

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I am a template god? I AM A TEMPLATE GOD!
    (I doubt it)

When I applied a left column to my forum, I ended up with the same problem actually. I removed the column, and it fitted perfectly again. Because of the upcomming 2.2.5 last week, I did not try any further. I think it is just some table that is trying to 100% within already pre-set width. Setting pre-set to 100% and using collspan properly it will not jump out of the screen in any resolution.

Leave a comment:

• c-prompt
    replied
    Your problem is some tables are using fixed widths. ie. 600. You need them to be percentages to fit to different resolutions. Right now its going off the screen because of the fixed size for the tables.
    Last edited by c-prompt; Sat 6 Apr '02, 8:50pm.

Leave a comment:

• werehere
    replied
    And if it isn't that, then it would be helpful to have a screen cap of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Nafae
    replied
    I think you are saying the text is kind of streached vertically? If so, that's your monitor. 1024x768 means that its 1024 pixels wide and 768 tall. If you monitor is large, then it has to pull those 768 pixels out to fill the void! and since 1024 is more, it won't streach as much because there are more pixels to work with. That's it in "laymans terms", I'm not sure of the exact technicalities that go on during this.

So it isn't just vbulletin, when I tried it on my monitor all websites and text (and images for that matter) look a bit streached out.

Leave a comment:

• xiphoid or other Template Gods - why does forumhome stretch on lower res?

Hello Guys and Gals,

I've had users reporting that my forumhome (http://www.servicepals.com/forums/index.php) is now stretching the screen at 1024x768 resolution - I don't usually go down this low myself - it did work at one time but now doesn't (I've applied lots of hacks and template changes!!)

My eyes are tired and drained from looking at the generated code for the past 6 hours, and I still can't see what would be causing the stretching at this (and lower) resolution.

Can anybody give advice as to what is causing it? The dreaded page is at http://www.servicepals.com/forums/index.php

Please let me know if you've got any ideas,

All the best,

Ross