Style newbie: need a guide !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style newbie: need a guide !

Hi. I'm looking for a basic complete procedure or document to create styles.
    Is there anything anywhere ?
    Actually I wouldn't make mistakes adding a new style to my board, and still have a lot of confusion about.
    I would create a second style (besides the 'purple' standard one), and for example use the drop-down style hack to make the users choose among them. Just like vb.org.

But, before, I absolutely need to do some questions:[list=1][*]What are the entity-relationships between the assets:
    style - templateset - template - more... ?[*]A new templateset is necessary for a new style ?[*]When I'll have created a new style and would need to apply some hacks involving templates, should I reapply again and again the same modifications to the different templates in templatesets ?[*]If changing for example only the color-sets and some small behavior of few pages (for instance, as here with a framed-like html on the center of the page), how could I manage the different baselines/branches of templates which would be developed ?[*]Is there a checklist to avoid most famous mistakes ?[*]etc. ?[/list=1] Definetively, I would need some goodfellow wanted to clear out my ideas.

Thanks a lot for any answer !

Bye.

Re: Style newbie: need a guide !

Originally posted by Jet
    Hi. I'm looking for a basic complete procedure or document to create styles.
    Is there anything anywhere ?
    Actually I wouldn't make mistakes adding a new style to my board, and still have a lot of confusion about.
    I would create a second style (besides the 'purple' standard one), and for example use the drop-down style hack to make the users choose among them. Just like vb.org.

But, before, I absolutely need to do some questions:[list=1][*]What are the entity-relationships between the assets:
    style - templateset - template - more... ?[*]A new templateset is necessary for a new style ?[*]When I'll have created a new style and would need to apply some hacks involving templates, should I reapply again and again the same modifications to the different templates in templatesets ?[*]If changing for example only the color-sets and some small behavior of few pages (for instance, as here with a framed-like html on the center of the page), how could I manage the different baselines/branches of templates which would be developed ?[*]Is there a checklist to avoid most famous mistakes ?[*]etc. ?[/list=1] Definetively, I would need some goodfellow wanted to clear out my ideas.

Thanks a lot for any answer !

Bye.

same here

Comment

Here's a good explanation from wluke:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...yle#post249931
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks, Steve.
        I've already seen the FAQs, but even the post you linked has only a general definition of two-three terms. Not more.
        I'm planning to change the look'n'feel of my board, most changing colors and a couple of small things, but would leave the standard behavior as one of the two items choice.
        Well, would know if it should be needed to create a new style to make easier the switch and, when I have two or more styles, what'll happen if I had to modify some template to apply, for instance, a new hack.
        Should I manage two or more series like a branch development ?

Is it possible nobody wrote anything for dummies ?

Thnx

Comment

There is no comprehensive guide yet. The best I can recommend is that when you create a new Style set, you also create and use new Replacement and Templates sets to go with it.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Actually, simply to change colorsets and buttons (and to let users choose one or another set), do you think should be necessary create a new style, with all those appendices you said ?

(I would use the choosing-style combo box hack)

Thnx

Comment

That's just the way I do it. I find it easier to maintain if each Style has it's own Replacement and Template sets. Of course you can do this with replacement sets only. It's entirely up to you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I saw in your tagline you have about eight styles defined...
                Very good...
                Well, if you would apply an hack to your board, with 8 different templatesets, you should have to do the same modifications eight times per hacked template. Is it true ?

This seems to me a too high problem, as till now I applied about 40+ hacks, most of them involving templates.
                And, since now, if I would create new styles/template-sets only to have a new color scheme ????

Thnx

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X