Mirror development site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [vB4] Mirror development site

Hi all, first post. Bought a license for the CMS package and want to experiment some on the look of the site. My knowledge of HTML is OK, css and java, less so, so my first step was to get some "css/java for Idiots" books to bone up on. I have some programming experience, so it really is more a matter of me getting used to the syntax, which appears to be similar to C+. I'm going to spend a whole lot of time searching this forum for information, before asking questions. I am a moderator and content provider on two different fishing related websites w/ forums, so I know how annoying repeat questions can be.

However, I do have one question. I have successfully uploaded and installed Vbulletin (4.1.5) and would like NOT to do my experimenting on my actual site.

Can I copy the entire folder (former upload folder, now renamed) into a different folder on my site, and do my experimenting on it, or do I have to do another complete upload (and install) into a completely different folder (either in public_html, or some other folder not in that directory) that I can point my browser to when I want to work on something.

Or is neither process going to work LOL.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Rich

You have to do a complete separate install- copying the files will not copy the database which is the important part.

Make sure you password protect access to your test install.

Also I hope the book you bought was "JavaScript" not "Java" - Java is a completely different language which isn't used in vBulletin.

Comment

Thanks BirdOPrey5, makes sense, and yes, the book is on javascripting. Thanks again.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X