Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 Ways to Customize a vB Forum from the ACP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4Play
    replied
    did it Lynne! thanks a bunch

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    You need to create a new image, save it with that name, and then upload it to the server replacing the existing one.

Leave a comment:

• 4Play
    replied
    How exactly do I make the change? Tried with the Phrase Manager in the ACP but the phrase "forum_old-48" didn't yield any hits.

Do I go directly into the code itself? If so, what's the most expeditious way?

Leave a comment:

• 4Play
    replied
    Thanks much Steve!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Right click on the image then chose 'View Image'. That will show you which file this is.

On our site it is here: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/imag...rum_old-48.png

Leave a comment:

• 4Play
    replied
    Hi Lynne,
    Unsure of the correct terminology. Here's a screen shot. It'd be great to replace the "bubble" with a custom icon that matches my logo.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    The "talk bubble"?

Leave a comment:

• 4Play
    replied
    that's super lynne! many thanks

might you know of a thread that shows how i can insert a custom icon to replace the "talk bubble" that's in front of each thread?

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    The "Welcome to ...." message is a phrase. You can change it in Languages & Phrases > Search in Phrases > enter "welcome to the" and search (should show you the phrase "welcome_to_the_x"). Then edit the phrase to what you want.

I think there is a thread somewhere here where users were posting style sites.

Leave a comment:

• 4Play
    replied
    Awesome, Lynne. Many thanks. Is there an easy way to add more text to the section that reads: "Forums. Welcome to the Forums." It'd be nice to put a longer welcome message there.

Also, do I recall seeing a listing of top vB skins on this forum or was that possibly another site altogether?

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    You might want to start here - 9 Easy Steps to Styling Your Forum

Leave a comment:

• 4Play
    started a topic [vB4] Top 10 Ways to Customize a vB Forum from the ACP?

Top 10 Ways to Customize a vB Forum from the ACP?

NooB, here. Just set up my first forum! But it currently looks, not surprisingly, exactly like this site in terms of layout, color schematics, logo, forum icons, etc.

Is there a pre-existing thread on this forum which speaks to the Top 10 ways to customize a site for maximum impact and differentiation from the ACP? (Not interested in hacks yet as that's above my current technical proficiency.)

Topics of interest include:

1. Replacing the vBulletin logo with a custom logo
    2. Inserting a custom header at the top of the forum (is "header" the right word?)
    3. Replacing the "text bubble" icons in each thread with a custom icon
    4. Insertion of a tag cloud
    5. Reskinning a forum
    6. Etc., etc.

If a thread like this already exists, I'd love a link please!

If a thread doesn't exist, it'd be great to capture your favorite customizing mods from the ACP!!