No announcement yet.

Why is it hard to find a good tutorial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [vB4] Why is it hard to find a good tutorial?

Why is it so hard to find a simple tutorial for creating a custom style? I have an understanding of CSS and build my own sites. For some reason I just don't get vbulletin 4 structure. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I've been over the docs. Help me please! I need a walk through.

Any sites? Any books?

Thank you

Have you looked at the articles here - How To: Styling/Theming ? And how about this one - 10 Easy Steps to Styling Your Forum

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thank you. I will take a look into it. Are other outside sources?

Comment

I do not know of an outside source, but then I haven't looked for any either. You may want to check the vB4 Articles forum over on vbulletin.org, the modification site.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

I'd like to echo flyaddict7x' question. Why aren't there any?

I have a low traffic site and can't afford to spend my life learning the CMS let alone keep up with changes to the forum core. I've looked for books and comprehensive tutorials for YEARS (that's what I'm doing here now) and there's nothing but one old book and a mish-mash of information that doesn't flow well. I really can't understand why they don't publish something. Not everyone using vB is a full-time PHP pro. Even Spaghetti-O's come with instructions, why not vB?

Comment

I finally figured it out. Surely not the easiest thing though. My new template. I started from the base style and just made a bunch of changes. The how to section did help along with Firebug for Firefox.
            Last edited by Flyaddict7x; Mon 28th Feb '11, 5:49am.

Comment

WOW! Very impressive look!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X