No announcement yet.

[howto] -> Spaces Between Categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have tried several things on my board, and actually, I am not experiencing any dis-allignment at all, I even tried out 5 different browsers. Maybe this is because you guys have applied other code-hacks to the templates or php files that alter any <table> tag. I am sorry. I do not get the problem here, so I can not test code to fix it either.

Comment

Well as stated in one of my earlier posts I would let you know when our board would have been upgraded. That has happened now, so come and have a look. Nothing fancy but xiphoid's hack works fine

http://www.baanboard.com
      Regards,

Patrick Van der Veken
      http://www.baanboard.com
      'True strength lies in gentleness - Irish proverb'

Comment

Thank you for making this hack, I've see it around on other Vb forums and wondered how to do it, I tried to do it on my own this morning but got the table lines.

After following the last 4 pages I managed to get everything to work perfectly. Thank you for sharing your wisdom, and to all those on the forum that contributed.

I had the table problem as well, aka with the dis-allignment, but after trying the. Code change below, and removing the <br> from the front of the "<br> right before the <!-- main --> section " Thank to asfprez for pointing that out. everything seems to work great now.

code:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        <tr align="center">
        <td bgcolor="#8080A6"><smallfont> </smallfont></td>
        <td bgcolor="#8080A6" width="80%" align="left"><smallfont color="#EEEEFF"><b>Forum</b></smallfont></td>
        <td bgcolor="#8080A6"><smallfont color="#EEEEFF"><b>Posts</b></smallfont></td>
        <td bgcolor="#8080A6"><smallfont color="#EEEEFF"><b>Threads</b></smallfont></td>
        <td bgcolor="#8080A6" nowrap><smallfont color="#EEEEFF"><b>Last Post</b></smallfont></td>
        <td bgcolor="#8080A6" width="20%"><smallfont color="#EEEEFF"><b>Moderator</b></smallfont></td>
        </tr>
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above code seemed to line up everything and pull it together nicely, thanks for adding that.

I recently bought the vb forums, but till today, hadn't tried any vb hacks, I can see how this could get very addictive.

again thanks.

Comment

Hey Rob

Comment

mmm

i did excatly what you posted, but the thing is...the topic "posts" and "threads" moves to the side so it wont be straight....

anyone else had this problem?
            i have no other template hack or whatsoever

Comment

ARGH!! Help!! - simple, lovely, beautiful modification but no spaces?

Hello,

This looks lovely, and I've applied it hot on the hells of applying the QUOTE template modification which looks lovely as well.

However, only my first forum category has a space after it - can see at http://www.servicepals.com/forums/index.php - the first forum category is nicely spaced, but the others are not - what should one do to achieve this spacing on all categories?

Kind Regards,

Ross Williams
              Webmaster, ServicePals.com

Comment

yes that is what happened with me.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
                  I have tried several things on my board, and actually, I am not experiencing any dis-allignment at all, I even tried out 5 different browsers. Maybe this is because you guys have applied other code-hacks to the templates or php files that alter any <table> tag. I am sorry. I do not get the problem here, so I can not test code to fix it either.
                  Yep, I get the same problem === http://www.clanram.com/forum

any ideas ??
                  Dez U

VB4.2 Suite ClanRam
                  VB4.2 Suite Refrigeration-Engineer
                  VB4.2 Suite ScottishHD

Comment

Most alignment problems fixed !

I am too tired to run through the whole thread again to see if I already posted this, but here goes: A copy/paste from my archive forum where I have listed the changes I have made to www.creations.nl .. I, myself, have never had problems with allignment, but I think the following code will put the forum indexing row below the category, and fix the problem with the alignment.

----------------- snap

On the frontpage of the forum (the index of the categories) each category now has its own indexing header.

The one that says: Forum / Posts / Threads / Moderator(s) is now below every category

The next step is to split up the categories from eachother so they really look like they are seperate boards. But how it looks now, is pretty cool too

Credits goto Smoothie from macfora.com who provided me with the right code!

Open your forumhome template.
                    Look for:

Code:
                    <tr align="center">
                      <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}"><smallfont>&nbsp;</smallfont></td>
                      <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}" width="80%" align="left"><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Forum</b></smallfont></td>
                      <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}"><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Posts</b></smallfont></td>
                      <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}"><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Threads</b></smallfont></td>
                      <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}" nowrap><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Last Post</b></smallfont></td>
                      <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}" width="20%"><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Moderator</b></smallfont></td>
                    </tr>

Cut that code and 'save' the template.

Now open the forumhome_forumbit_level1_nopost template.
                    Paste the code you cut from the other template below the last line of what
                    is currently there.
                    Save it
                    Now do the same for the forumhome_forumbit_level2_nopost template.
                    Save it.
                    And thats it. All done.

Sweet!

------------------- end snap

Hope it is clear and helps you out.

It all depends on future version 3.0 of vBulletin, but maybe then I will rewrite the code and make a 100% working one for everybody.

So far I have shared what I wished to do and accomplished. I am new to vBulletin, and tried my best. I have no way of running 5 different board installations and test different setups out. Sorry that the support isn't optimal

Comment

xiphoid
                      You are a star, it works great ..... Thank you very much
                      Dez U

VB4.2 Suite ClanRam
                      VB4.2 Suite ScottishHD

Comment

Originally posted by Dez_U
                        xiphoid
                        You are a star, it works great ..... Thank you very much
                        You can reward me by voting for my forum see my signature

Comment

done
                          Dez U

VB4.2 Suite ClanRam
                          VB4.2 Suite ScottishHD

Comment

Originally posted by Dez_U
                            done
                            wow,
                            fnx !!

Comment

xiphoid,

I believe you will find that your post td alignment is perfect on the creations.nl forum because you do not have enough posts in those forums to offset the alignment. I have played around with getting it perfect, and if you have tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of posts in one forum, it will offset the alignment.

So for those who have the catagories split, with the forum info under each category, the following will work to fix this alignment issue I believe.

So at the bottom of the forumhome_forumbit_level1_nopost template were you placed the forum info code, change it to be this:

Code:
                              <tr align="center">
                                <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}"><smallfont>&nbsp;</smallfont></td>
                                <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}" width="50%" align="left"><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Forum</b></smallfont></td>
                                <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}" width="60"><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Posts</b></smallfont></td>
                                <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}"><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Threads</b></smallfont></td>
                                <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}" nowrap><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Last Post</b></smallfont></td>
                                <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}" width="20%"><smallfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}"><b>Moderator</b></smallfont></td>
                              </tr>
                              See how I changed the width on the Forum column, and how I gave a width to the Post column? That should clear this alignment issue up. You can play around with the Post width if you wish to make it smaller, because I have it set to look correct with hundreds of thousands of posts, and it looks perfect now.

Let me know if this works for others as well.
                              We're Here Forums!
                              [email protected]

Comment

Way perfect!
                                Thank you very much

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X