questions about .style files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about .style files

sometimes i download styles and they have no .style file is it possible to create one or copy the vbulletion.style and just rename it???

thanks
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

DO NOT edit from vbulletin.style itself

use the template system in vB only
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

i see now, ok thanks
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
        i see now, ok thanks
        no probs
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

editing .style files

I am setting up a new message board with your VB 2.1.1. I may have gone as far as I can with the configurable admin options. Now I want to make some changes such as modifying the FAQ text. I noticed the FAQ seems to be stored in the vbulletin.style file, yet you seem to discourage editing of it.

Do I have to cross over into the hacking area to accomplish this? Or have I missed an option?

And while I'm here, I notice that to the left of the window I'm now typing into is a chart of 11 smilies that I can pick from. But on my board a user only sees one smiley plus an empty grid and an option for more (which works fine when clicked on). How can I get all the default smilies to show?

Much thanks,

-- Musicat

Comment

Don't modify the vbulletin.style file. To change the FAQ text, simply modify the FAQ templates:

Admn CP -> Templates -> Modify -> {choose style} -> FAQ Templates [expand]
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I must have missed that option because I didn't click on an "expand" link.

However, I notice that editing the FAQ text thru the Admin CP as you recommend is merely allowing me to modify the text. Wouldn't this be the same as doing it in a non-vb text editor? Or are there some safeguards in place such as code-pair matching?

And I'm still wondering about the smilies menu.

-- Musicat

Comment

I thought you wanted to modify the text of the templates? If so, then this is the way to do it since the templates are all part of the database and are not in separate text files.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Tell me if this is how VB works. The files unZIPped and used for install (PHP, STYLE, whatever) are used only for install, but copied to the database for everyday operation? If so, I can see why modifying the vbulletin.style would have no effect.

However, are there safeguards in place in the CP editor to prevent <>...</> mismatches or other errors? I am quite familiar with HTML syntax, but it would be good to know if my editing will be checked before execution.

This kind of editing is a lot more prone to errors than just changing a color, for example.

And I still wonder about the smilies menu.

-- Musicat

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X