Trouble creating clean graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble creating clean graphics

Having alot of trouble creating clean graphics for my site (www.esawdust.com). For some reason the image loads blurry on the net but while editing it in Paint Shop Pro 7 or Microsoft Composer (or FrontPage) its crystal. I dont have a bunch of experience with the graphics things so Im wondering if Im saving wrong for web use. Goto my site and youll see what I mean... the top logo is blurry and I had the same problem when I loaded a logo into my vBulletin Board. Thanks for any assistance!

Greg
    eSawDust.com

Are you giving it a set area to display in.

Take a look at the html code in the templates or paste here and we'll have a look.
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction

Comment

Re: Trouble creating clean graphics

Originally posted by esawdust
      For some reason the image loads blurry on the net but while editing it in Paint Shop Pro 7 or Microsoft Composer (or FrontPage) its crystal.
      Hi Greg,

The problem you're having is that you're saving things as jpeg's and not GIF's.

JPEG is a "lossy" compressor, which means "I can compress better if you're willing to accept some quality loss." Unfortunatly, JPEG has a lot of trouble with sharp boundaries, like the color change between your text and the background. This makes for either funny looking color swatches or blockyness around the sharp edge.

GIF is a "loss-less" compressor, which means that the uncompressed version is byte-by-byte identical with the original.

GIF does not experience the same sharp-line-fuzz that JPEG does.

This is a fairly common mistake people new to web graphics make, in that they convert everything to JPEGs.

Remember this simple rule: JPEG for pictures, GIFs for everything else.
      --Jim

Comment

Tried saving the files in the different formats.. the .gif images are limited to dithered or solid.. both look awful. Ive been saving everything as .jpg in the highest quality format. They too still come out blurry when viewed on the net. Im at a loss here... Its gotta be something simple.

As far as having a set area I load it to the header area in frontpage. I size the image in the graphics program then save and insert. Is there another way?

Greg

Comment

Something you might want to try is pick up a copy of Photoshop 6 *or* ImageReady (if they still sell it), as both have a terrific web export system that lets you lock colors and play with different settings.

If you don't mind breaking compatibility you could try .png, but that's probably not the best idea. png's are lossless compressed but have a huge pallete size.

As to the image size thing, if you specify the width and height in an img tag, and it's not the same as the actual graphic, the browser will do some image scaling and it looks ugly.
          --Jim

Comment

There is only 1 problem I can see being associated with doing it that way. Lets say you have a 1 pixel black border around your image. You then make it smaller, that 1 pixel, how does it get smaller?? Well it simply blurs..
            Board of the Month: November
            Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
            Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
            vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

very valid points
              Board of the Month: November
              Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
              Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
              vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X