Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[vB4] Holy crap... can you just tell me where to start changing the colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really dont know why everyones whinging so much, Its really not that hard, its certainly no harder than manually finding and replacing CSS, and they provide you with drop downs to select...
    Install Firebug for FireFox , use the "Inpect" tool and roll your mouse over the area you want to edit , this should give you a name .. Something like titlebar_postbit just look under your stylevars for anything named like that (try looking for titlebar first)

If that doesnt work , just enter the whole CSS class name in the style search area of the style manager and you'll find the actual CSS ..

Iv been using vBulletin less than a month , and iv still managed to create a style im going to use for an upcoming migration .. you can see some screen shots of my development instance here:

Groups
    http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4527/groups.jpg

A Blog post
    http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/3051/blogpost.jpg

Blog Listing - Listing of blogs
    http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6073/bloglist.jpg

Forum
    http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6023/forumln.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Niri View Post
      Hello?
      LOL! Sorry no one is listening.

We're in the same boat as you. We were going to launch 2 new sites using VB4 + suite but now we're looking at other options.

Comment

Originally posted by soundpunk View Post
        I really dont know why everyones whinging so much, Its really not that hard, its certainly no harder than manually finding and replacing CSS, and they provide you with drop downs to select...
        Install Firebug for FireFox , use the "Inpect" tool and roll your mouse over the area you want to edit , this should give you a name .. Something like titlebar_postbit just look under your stylevars for anything named like that (try looking for titlebar first)

If that doesnt work , just enter the whole CSS class name in the style search area of the style manager and you'll find the actual CSS ..
        Ok Mr. Expert, tell me where to change the forumdisplay link and hover link colors that are default white and white with underline (respectively). Where?

Comment

It really shouldn't be necessary to have to install additional programs to figure out somenthing as simple as looks. We've paid good money for this, and we shouldn't have to be experts in CSS and programming to change some colors. I'm no noobie when it comes to this, not an expert, but I do work with CSS on several sites, and I've had big problems with some issues. And that includes using Firebug. I still haven't figured out how to get separators between previous posts when going advanced replying to posts, a question nobody have been bothered to answer. I also have several other problems left unanswered here. So if it's as easy as you say, please search for my started threads and enlighten me. I'd be very grateful Otherwise, please don't be a hypocrite

Comment

Iv been using vBulletin less than a month , and iv still managed to create a style im going to use for an upcoming migration .. you can see some screen shots of my development instance here:

Groups
            http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4527/groups.jpg

A Blog post
            http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/3051/blogpost.jpg

Blog Listing - Listing of blogs
            http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6073/bloglist.jpg

Forum
            http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6023/forumln.jpg
            That tool does help however it does not always display the exact name you are looking for. For example "posthead" is not an option in the StyleVAR so yours is not a complete solution.

Comment

To add to the replies of those above...part of the issue soundpunk is that the whole process is a lot more tedious than styling used to be. A basic skin that just involved changing 4 colours across the entire forum could have been done in about 5 minutes for an experienced person who knew what they were doing. Someone with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the new Stylevars system would struggle to do that in an hour. That's just ridiculous.

At the very least, we need a system similar to the old one for ease of creating simple colour-swap styles (because that's all most sites ever want or need to begin with), and an easy converter for colour schemes from vB3 to vB4.
              神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Webmaster, Bulbagarden / Bulbapedia

Comment

The problem is, 99% of us will use the same styling across all areas of the new "suite". I cant even believe that each of these areas operates in such different ways. Every one of them is essentially the same thing!!!! A post, some replies, and some organizing of it all. What took so long?!?!?! It should be the same thing, copied 3 times. But it's not... its 3 things, written by 3 completely different teams... and they didn't even communicate in the process.

Comment

This is precisely the reason why I rewrote my 4.0 installation with 3.8 immediately after purchasing vBulletin a few weeks ago.

Comment

I've figured out the stylevars system, and despite the complicated archaic unorganized side of it, its quite capable in its current form, BUT...they didn't finish it. There's a LOT of stylevars that should affect some things but don't...and there's a LOT of CSS templates that don't even refer to the stylevars. I had to go through the assetmanager css and replace a BUNCH of actual colors with references to stylevars...that shouldn't have to be done...they should have made ALL those things point to stylevars, not some of them.

Comment

I finally figured out how to find which stylevar I was looking for from a thread on vBulletin.org. But I had to install Firefox, install a plug-in called Firebug, search the css with firebug, copy some information, go to the admincp, search templates, THEN find the stylevar. WTF?????????????????

Comment

Wow i was shocked......Good info here.

Comment

I've been using VB 3+ for over 5 years and was told that I had to upgrade to keep the server legal. So I figured that I could just have my hose plug in version 4 and it would all look the same. HA! What a fool I am. I've been working on these colors for about 6 hours now, with my web designer son's help, and it's a nightmare. We have managed to get a similar look but we have a long way to go. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this difficulty. I wish I had read this forum BEFORE I invested in version 4, maybe I would just changed servers instead of programs.

Comment

Upgrade to keep the server legal? You might have had to upgrade your llicense, but not the software.

Comment

This new setup takes a bit to figure, but aint that bad after you work on it a bit
                              Last edited by expeditionman; Tue 9 Feb '10, 6:10am.

Comment

I have to agree that the "new" way of styling vbulletin lacks function. I DO do this every day I'm a designer and do this for a living and this is the most screwed up way fo doing things that I've seen in a long time. It took me about 6 hours jus to figure everything out and I've worked with the vbulletin software for almost 10 years now! I do not understand why it was all changed. IMO if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X