Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropdown menu with "Forum Contains New Posts"

Hi, I have a Q,
    i made a dropdown menu (please take a look at http://www.oregonfishingforum.com/). What i want now - "Forum Contains New Posts" & "Forum Contains No New Posts" pix next to each forum name in the menu. Please give me a direction where to move.

Thanks in advance
    Oregon Fishing Forum

edit! Sorry..

Comment

Originally posted by m411b View Post
      edit! Sorry..
      ??? Is it supposed to be a funny joke?
      Oregon Fishing Forum

Comment

Dynamic Drive has great codes for menus.

Comment

It looks like I didn't explain clear what I want. Sorry for my English
          I made a drop down menu, so there is no problem wit the code of the menu. What I want is - "forum_new.gif"/"forum_old.gif" images in the dropdown menu next to each menu link. In this case the content of the index page will no longer need to be there and I will replace it with something custom made like "featured discussions", featured videos" etc.

I understand that it's something as simple as
          if(check somewhere for something)
          {$pic="forum_new.gif";}
          else
          {$pic="forum_old.gif";}

So here is my question what for and where do I want to "teach" my script to check, and where.
          Oregon Fishing Forum

Comment

No, if I understand correctly what you want to do, there's nothing simple about it, really.

I figure you want to show the right image for every user seeing the menu - so if there are unread posts for the user that sees the menu, you want _new, otherwise _old. And you want to do that on every page of your forum.

There's no easy, just template edits way to do this. The information on unread forums is not available to you everywhere. You need custom code to determine whether there are unread messages or not. I did that for social groups for one of my mods over at vbulletin.org, and that's where you need to ask this question, really. You need to have custom php code in a plugin that queries the database and makes that information available to you. If you use cookie based marking for read/unread messages, it gets even nastier.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X