Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Do A Front Page And Browser Logo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Do A Front Page And Browser Logo?

First, a little introduction. I recently launched my all new site using the VBulletin system. I love it. Thank you guys. I've had many questions come up on how to do things. But thankfully, being a lurker here and using the search function has been a huge help.

But two things I need help with that I can't seem to locate any information on.

First is the browser logo. I use IE. When looking at the URL bar drop down menu, most sites have their site 'logo' right next to the URL.

How do I make a custom one for my site? It is currently the VBulletin logo.

Can someone please explain this to me step by step? I am not that good when it comes to advanced html or other code. So I'm sorry if it seems like you need to 'dumb it down' a bit.

My other request is: How do I create a 'front page'? Currently, when you type in my site URL, it simply shows the forum home page. I want a front page that I can customize, put links on (including the link to the forum), and so on. Again. I will need simpleton instructions on doing this. I am using V3.7.0.

Thank you!

Go to your admincp, and exapnd Styles & Templates, then click style Manager. I'd recommend you duplicate the default skin and name it something like "Parent Skin" and make modifications you want to be applied site wide on all skins to that template.

Either way, pick the skin you'd like to modify, and find the 'headinclude' template. Add this somewhere in it (I have mine at the bottom):

Code:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.example.com/image.ext" />
    It should be a 16x16 file. I use a GIF for mine, named favico.gif, but, people also like using favicon.ico and favorite.icon. If you want to use a .ico file, you'll need to know how to make .ico files, and that's an entirely different lesson.

And the reason it's showing your forum is because that must be what's in the main directory, or it's being redirected. Say you have example.com. example.com/index.php, index.html, index.htm, et cetera will be the default page that shows. So, it's probably using the index.php from vBulletin as the default. You need to move all the vBulletin files into a folder called /forums/ or /forum/ or whatever else you want, and add an index.html file to the main directory, above whatever you name your forum directory. After doing that, you'll have to reconfigure vBulletin to let it know the forum's new address, in includes/config.php and in Site Name / Url / Contact Details, which is in Options in the admincp. There might be another place, but, if there is, I forget. Look around, it can't be hard to find.

I hope that helped!
    Fun, ROMs, gaming, emulations, and a friendly community!

http://www.emulysianfields.com

Comment

You can go here to create your own favicon for the browser logo, it's simple and you can find answers there on how to as well.

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/

Comment

You can add a favicon to your web page by uploading favicon.ico to your
        website and inserting the following HTML tag inside the <head> ... </head>
        section of your web page. (at the top of headinclude template)

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >

Optional: if you would like to display the animated favicon, upload
        animated_favicon1.gif as well and insert the following HTML tags.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >
        <link rel="icon" href="animated_favicon1.gif" type="image/gif" >

If you would like to test the favicon after updating your web page, the
        Favicon Validator can check the favicon files and tags on your website.

http://www.htmlkit.com/go/favicon/validator/

Comment

Icon in URL bar:

Well no it didn't help much. I followed the link and was able to create a "test" icon and save it as a zipped file.

I hate to sound pushy or ungrateful for the help, but someone needs to explain this to me in the easiest, most dumbed down way possible. I can turn on my computer, access my admin panel, and that's about it. From there, I will need step by step, to the letter instructions. I'm talking something so oversimplified that even an Ozark Hillbilly would be able to follow it and figure it out.

I was able to figure out how to enable the forum settinges, colors/appearances, forum groups, and the like. I have most of that all down because most of it is simple point-n-click and drop down menus.

I spent a good 20 minutes staring at the "header" and "headinclude" templates inside the style manager. I didn't touch a thing for fear of wrecking my site. I know it's old hat for some of you but what I saw was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo to me.

Running a VBulletin based website and forum is what I'm doing. An advanced HTML code programmer I am not. This is purely a hobby for me. I'm (really) in the oil business for a living.

So please. Any further help would be appreciated.

I haven't even started on a "main" page yet. My default/home page is still the forum itself.

Comment