Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll down/up categorys?

Hi!

I'm currently saving up for a vB license, so i thought of somthing i thing would be usefull for those with huges board because of the categorys... description:

is it possible to make a hack that displays the categorys only, but then when you move your mouce over a category, or click one, it fold out, not by refreshing the page, but just rolling down. and then when you move you mouse out from the category, or click it again, it closes... but it doesnt close if you move your mouse down at the forums... thats why i prefer the click option!
    ... kinda like www.deviantart.com's menu

... if this could be done, i would really be eager to get my license faster!

aint this a good idea? since noone replys...

Comment

yah ozone2000 I was going to work on this for my site... I created a drop down menu or a folding tree menu on an old site of mine.. but think it is workable to make the forums like this..

well that and I am using vbportal.. so it would rock with that too!

Comment

a friend of mine told me it was doable in DHTML, can it then be integrated into vbb?

Comment

Ok, my friend wrote this in a mail to me:

Hey, I looked into it. The problem is that it has to be seperate tables, e.g. Content header has to be a table, and all the subcontents have to be one too. You can edit the templates to make it fit, it's not hard, just takes time. All you gotta do is setup a test vbb so you can hack instantly.
          The affected template items are :
          • Forum Home Page Templates
          • forumhome_forumbit_level1_nopost
          • forumhome_forumbit_level1_post
          • forumhome_forumbit_level2_nopost
          • forumhome_forumbit_level2_post
          • headinclude

Here is the guide how to make it expandable :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          1. Put this in your headinclude
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          <script language="JavaScript1.2"><!--
          var ns6=document.getElementById&&!document.all?1:0
          var head="display:''"
          var folder=''
          function expandit(curobj){
          folder=ns6?curobj.nextSibling.nextSibling.style:document.all[curobj.sourceIndex+1].style
          if (folder.display=="none")
          folder.display=""
          else
          folder.display="none"
          } //--></script>

2. Put this in the template for the categories :
          <h3 style="cursor:hand" onClick="expandit(this)">Place the title table here (category)</h3>
          <span style="display:none" style=&{head};>
          Contents (place the table containing the subcategories here)
          </span>

Happy hacking & good luck

... do you think you can make a complete hack out of this? because im very bad at doing stuff like this...

Comment

I would guess it is doable... easily... as for creating a hack... I can as soon as I get a few other things done.. maybe someone else wants to this and will tackle this.. FireFly.. you seem to be able to do this kind of stuff really really well

Comment

I'd really be interested in this one, shoud you decide to put your time and effort into it.

Comment

Well I am somewhat working on it.. or was or something similar cause I wanted this done on my site. Well on the vbportal stand point I was going to make up a template that all the side boxes are able to be minimized and maximized... which would be for the most part just like this.

I had just stopped work on it, like I have done on many things to get some of the major things done for my site.. so I can eventually open the damn thing.

I feel like JoshFink.. when I say.. I to have a site that is destined never to open.

Comment

Originally posted by BradC
                  I would guess it is doable... easily... as for creating a hack... I can as soon as I get a few other things done.. maybe someone else wants to this and will tackle this.. FireFly.. you seem to be able to do this kind of stuff really really well
                  Thanks mate.

I just saw this thread. But I'm sorry, I know nothing about DHTML.
                  Maybe if someone can post the complete code on how to make tables appear and disappear I could look into this.
                  Chen Avinadav
                  Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

Seeing as this is more of a template issue than a hack, I will move it to the Template forum.

I don't know if this particular DHTML will be there, but check http://www.bratta.com for a range of different DHTML scripts.

Comment

WOW, so many replys. Im very happy to read that you, BradC, is working on it, and i dont mind waiting!
                      Last edited by ozone2000; Wed 29 Aug '01, 9:15am.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS
                        I don't know if this particular DHTML will be there, but check http://www.bratta.com for a range of different DHTML scripts.
                        Thanks James.
                        Yeah I know Bratta, he has this scroll script that is used on almost all blog sites.
                        Chen Avinadav
                        Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

who will make this for me?

Comment

I have been trying to figure this out.... can't lol

I had it almost working for my vbportal frontpage.. but that was totally different code than this.

So I will work on it another day.. cause today seems to be a bad day lol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X