Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright Issues Regarding Avatars

Guys,

I'm the admin of commercial BB and I recently added some avatars which our members can choose from. Most of the avatars are copyrighted or are technically owned by companies like Disney, Warner Bros., etc.

Is there any chance that I'll get sued for using these avatars? And if you must know, I got them off other websites. We're also not operating within the US.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Anyone? LOL

Comment

I seriously doubt it. Because EVERY avatar on my forum is copyrighted. just take a look. My forum is for a Q3 total conversion called Bid For Power which is based on Dragonball Z, which right now Funimation owns the rights to. They know about the site and haven't said anything to us about the avatars.
      Bid For Power - Bid For Power Forums
      =======================
      Anime Academy - Anime Academy Forums

Comment

If you don't aggressively protect your intellectual property rights you can lose them. This is true in all countries.

You may indeed be in jeopardy of legal action for using copyrighted or trademarked symbols for your avatars.

I had included a company logo for a large international company in a simple link on my website - to their company. I received a ceace and desist letter from their attorneys stating that I was participating in brand dilution and must remove their logo immediately. The website was a non-profit organization and the link to the commercial company was one of a hundred links to related commercial sites basically giving them a free plug on my links pages. Nothing asked in return; ever. These were simply other places on the net that I thought my users would be interested in knowing about - and I used the logos of the companies for instant recognition for the ease of my users. I was slapped down hard.

I'd check with an attorney and not take the advice you get on a forum like this one.

-t
        Tim Hewitt
        myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
        myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by thewitt
          I had included a company logo for a large international company in a simple link on my website - to their company. I received a ceace and desist letter from their attorneys stating that I was participating in brand dilution and must remove their logo immediately.
          I would say that was probably a case of a way over-zealous IP attorney with too much time on his hands. I doubt that would have held up.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
            I would say that was probably a case of a way over-zealous IP attorney with too much time on his hands. I doubt that would have held up.
            I don't know that it would have held up either, but my attorney advised me not to fight it. The company was ready to spend money to protect their image. I was not ready to spend money to use it on my site .

-t
            Tim Hewitt
            myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
            myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X