Fixed vs. Fluid Styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed vs. Fluid Styles

I did a search for similar threads here and I couldn't find one really going really in-depth about opinions on fixed vs. fluid styles.

I started a discussion about this on my website; Here's a quote from that conversation located @ New York Dev Forums: Fixed vs. Fluid
    I think the reason most

VBulletin sites use fixed is to have more control over their design.

With the direction current web trends are going these days I think a good majority of the websites out there in the future are going to be designed fixed width for

1024*768 if not 1280*1024. With new hardware and operating systems, monitors and what not, i think a good number of the PCs out there are using 1024*768

resolutions and higher. There is also the factor of line lengths when using a wider screen resolution. I think most who use larger resolutions prefer fixed as it makes

everything a lot more comfortable to read.

There are also other methods that designers can use to sort of mix and blend such as a mixed fluid with max-width element for internet explorer 5 and above

browsers, but unfortunately we are using the VBulletin script which works its own way.

But this is an old debate that I think ultimately will end as hardware continues to evolve.

This threads prompts me to start a fixed width vs. fluid thread.
    What does the VBulletin community think about this?

I've always preferred fixed styles for one reason or another, but probably the main reason is because i just believe they plain out look better.
    3D Resources - A list of resources for 3D Developers
    After Effects Resources - A list of resources for design in motion with Adobe After Effects

I prefer fixed, however I have some users who are used to fluid styles becuase a lot of the other automotive sites tend to use the same fluid styles. However none of them look any good. Most of them stick with the same basic layout with ugly color changes.

I have been trying to find a happy medium.
    Michael Key - www.mikekey.com
    www.hrfbody.com - Hampton Roads F-Body

Comment

Originally posted by HR3rdGen View Post
      I have been trying to find a happy medium.
      Same here!
      What do you think we should go with?
      Something like a 80-90% fluid with a sidebar?
      or maybe a wider fixed with sidebar?
      3D Resources - A list of resources for 3D Developers
      After Effects Resources - A list of resources for design in motion with Adobe After Effects

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X