Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question About The Way vBulletin Uses CSS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About The Way vBulletin Uses CSS...

Looking at the page source of a random vBulletin page, I was wondering why is loads all the CSS information instead of just :
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
    href="vbulletin.css" />

Why is that?

There is an option in the Admin CP to force the CSS code to be in an external CSS file like you have mentioned.

From memory, however, the default is to list the CSS code in each page's source.

Comment

I'd turn that on, personally.. since it makes pages load quicker.

.. As i'm lead to beleive, anyway.!

Comment

By default having that on means that the install would be much more complicated to the end user, and not all hosts would support it.

chmod the clientscript/vbulletin_css to 777

And enable the options.

Comment

Originally posted by jameso
          There is an option in the Admin CP to force the CSS code to be in an external CSS file like you have mentioned.

From memory, however, the default is to list the CSS code in each page's source.
          Hmm.. Can't find it.

Is it in the template section?

Comment

nevermind, it was in style/language
            But Zach, why would install would be much more complicated? Because they have to CHMOD a folder?

Comment

Yes.

While chmod'ing a folder is easy for most of us, there are tons users that don't know their way around ftp as well, for which this isn't something easy.

And while you can chmod folders with PHP, this only works for servers where PHP isn't running in safe-mode.
              Best Regards
              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Hi,

once you saved your style to CSS file, does the Admin CP is still available to modify the saved files?

I ask this one since it doesn't work with phpBB (I'm coming from this bb...)
                Bernard

Comment

Yes, you can always change it.
                  I think vBulletin just gives the css file a different filename.
                  Best Regards
                  Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

We generate new files to prevent cacheing.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X