default button font?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Menno
    it really isn't hard as long as your graphics program knows how to render text correctly...
    Care to elaborate on this? What criteria do you have for rendering text correctly? I've tried converting the image to 24-bit and using anti-aliasing prior to adding the text. This definitely changes the look, but it's still no where close the the clarity of the font on the vB buttons.

BTW, I'm using PhotoImpact 5.0.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

What kind of Graphics program do you use? In MIC Verdana 9 Bold is the one of the icons. But you have to turn of Anti-Aliasing.

Also there is a difference between 9 pixels and 9 punt. In my case it would be 9 pixels.

Comment

CJ,

As I stated, I'm using PhotoImpact 5.0.

Here'sthe latest with Verdana Bold 9 and anti-aliasing off. It's a lot closer than I've gotten before, but not perfect (notice the 'r' and 'f'.) Nonetheless I think this will be acceptable.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I think that's a result of kerning, not a different font. I would look around PhotoImpact for a text kerning setting, and adjust it until it looks like the vBulletin original. I know how to do it in Photoshop, but I have no idea about PhotoImpact. Sorry!

Comment

I mean that you might want to try another Imaging program for the text, since every program renders text differently, and so you might never get the exact same look. There are alot of free programs out there you could test for text rendering.
            - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

So why is it so difficult to find out who at Jelsoft made those fivelinks buttons and ask them what graphics program and font settings they used? Sheesh.

Comment

seriously, what gives, on why we don't have this exact font information?

Comment

Because Jelsoft didn't make them.

Comment

but why bother to get the font?
                    if you want buttons in an other color just edit the pallet..

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                      Because Jelsoft didn't make them.
                      Thanks you oh cryptic one. Can you tell me who did? If the answer to this riddle is YOU than I would be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Limey
                        Thanks you oh cryptic one. Can you tell me who did? If the answer to this riddle is YOU than I would be right.
                        No. I mean no one related to vB/Jelsoft made them.

AFAIK, nrg.be made them when they redesigned the whole site.

Comment

Lets soolve the font mystery

Hi Guys,

I didn't know this thread was going on, until someone mailed me. Let me describe what font and settings I used for the top buttons.

But first a little notice: I used Adobe Photoshop 6, I don't know how to recreate the same font/effect with other software, neither am I going to explain how to use Photoshop (it took me 8 years ).

font: Verdana
                          font style: bold
                          font size: 2pt
                          anti-aliasing method: none (not crisp, neither clean)
                          fractional widths: off
                          dropshadow layereffect: distance: 2pix, size: 0pix, spread: 0%, noise: 0%, angle 130°
                          www.nrg.be - www.ultrashock.com

Comment

Thanks for replying to my email and posting the solution here Peter. I appreciate it...

Comment

Hi, I'm trying to make some new standard "top_" buttons for 2.2.8 (i.e. the "user cp", "calendar" etc. buttons that appear in the top right of the screen) but with different text on them. My question is the same as has been raised above in that I need to know what font is used.

I'm using fireworks and have managed to read in the PSD file that I downloaded from here today. The font appear *similar* to the Verdana with bold in the post above. However I have to you a 10pt size to get a similar size for the text. Then it's still not the same. Also the text has a special effect on it which fireworks describes as a black coloured "glow" with a 75% opacity and a softness of 1. I can't be sure this is correct until I get the font 100% correct. The actual colour of the text would be good too.

Any tips/knowledge on what the font actually is in 2.2.8 - I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
                              Last edited by Banana; Sun 24th Nov '02, 6:26pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X