Discreet site reviews.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serenarules
    Pamela, one thing to consider regarding the floating text, some older browsers simply cannot run such scripts. Some of the really old ones may even crash the page, rendering it unviewable to them. This would rule out a whole segment of your possible viewers from even seeing the site. Here's a suggestion. Surround the template code that links in that js script with the following conditional.

Code:
    <if condition="!$show['old_explorer']">
    <!-- place the hardcoded or linked in script here -->
    </if>
    This will at least help keep the client failures down to a bare minimum.
    Thank you so much! I made the change!

Comment

Pamela, you're more than welcome.

rebelsrock06, The reason you got the 404 is because the host is twofold. One, I decided to move the board into a vbtest folder in order to skin it without users browsing it. I put up a temp ipb board to keep them happy in the meantime. Two, the host is having intermittent problems with my server right now. Once the the server issue is resolved I will report a link. My apologies for not being around the last two days or so, but this is why. I am working on getting these things resolved before I do anything else.

Please, continue to review each others site in the manner I have laid out.
      House of Night Forums - An online House of Night roleplaying community,

Comment

Okay why not?
        http://epettalk.com (home)
        http://epettalk.com/forums/index.php?

Got a Boxer?
        BoxerTalk

Comment

if you like you can email me the preview jpg and ill privately PM you about it and once you fix the problems you are having with your baords then we can post publicly
          Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

Hi,

Would be great if you could review:

www.defend.net

and

www.defend.net/online/ (new part of site I'm currently working on so not all the links work)

www.defend.net/deluxeforums/ (vbulletin)

Don't mind a public posting.

Thanks,

Tim
            Five Star Review Script - Add reviews to your website!
            Mixed Martial Arts - Houston MMA Training
            Women's Self-Defense - Courses and DVDs available

Comment

With all due respect, this holiday season, and other things, have left me with little free online time. I will catch up soon though. Untill then maybe another viable member can offer a review? I was hoping that by introducing this style of review, others would join in and begin a "community review" thread. Instead, I got stuck with the chore, so if you're willing to wait a few days, I promise to get back to you.

Thanks!

Comment

Understood! Take your time and if you or anyone else does the review that would be great!

Happy Holidays!

Tim
                Five Star Review Script - Add reviews to your website!
                Mixed Martial Arts - Houston MMA Training
                Women's Self-Defense - Courses and DVDs available

Comment

www.xamira.net/forums
                  Car Chops & Discussion
                  NerdoPlex / My Nerdy Den of Design

Comment

I sincerely apologize for letting this go. I have busy and had hoped people would start reviewing each others sites in the manner laid out. As it is, I'll try to cintue this when I have time.

Tim:

I found your header very nice overall. You could stand to make the text on your buttons (Classes, Store, etc...) stand out a tad more, perhaps a 3d rounded bevel? Now this isn't a big deal, but from a creative standpoint, the white flare in the top part of your header would illuminate the top part of the buttons, but you have the bottoms highlighted while the tops remain in shadow. That should logically be the other way around, unless this is the effect you specifically want.

The wasn't really a footer per se, but I like the fact that you stuck your advertising there instead of wasting space up top. Something I do here though is edit the copyright phrase and remove the <br /> so it all appears on one line. Often this makes things look better. I'd have to see it on your site before deciding though. At the very least, it would make the first line wider than the second, giving a tapering off effect.

Separating off the archives and sponsors is a good idea. I never quite liked the little sponsor images nested among all the other stuff regular forum sport.

I was confused a bit at the first category's name though. Obviously the whole site is based around "Martial Arts". To have a section also with that title, in addition to others, makes one wonder what aspect of martial arts it's on. I get the feeling "General Discussion" would be a better title.

There wasn't much css or image customization to speak of, and while that may not go over so well with those who also run boards, to the lay person, it's a plus as they are familiar with it.

All in all you have a nice board. A lot of information and chances to participate in various activities.

blindchild02:

Very nice! This color sceme makes me think of the Xbox, even though it's not related. Guess what though? I've said it before, but familiarity is an important factor in designing a site. I love the skin customizations. Very fluid and smooth. The lack of table cellspacing works well with your style.

I'm not sure I understand the need for a shoutbox though. It's almost redundant, like a mini-forum inside the main forums. I prefer the PM system for getting a particular message across.

Both the header and footer are very complimentary and done really well. They are symetric graphically and content is well balanced. I would personally like to see the ads moved to the footer, but that's only a personal quirk.

Great job.

Now...if somebody would be so kind, I have spent the last two weeks renovation my own site in preparation for yesterdays re-opening. I have 5 primary skin, in addition to the stock skin, which I would like comments on. Can anybody oblidge?

http://wizardingrealm.com

Comment

I'm not a professional, but, even though I am not a fan of Harry Potter (I like the movies, I'm just not hardcore), I love your skin. The Hogwarts primary skin is awesome, I love all the colors, and the wooden "finish" on the tables is great. I wish I could give you a longer review, but I can't point out any things that I didn't like (except the Muggles forum, which appears to be the standard vBulletin forum style). The rest is absolutely job well done. Looks like you spent a long time working on those forums, it definetely shows.

Comment

Thanks! Any comment at all is good. I left the stock skin as is intentionally for dial ups.

Comment

Hi,

i'm looking for someone to review my forum at http://www.dzineforum.com.

I'm open to suggestions, contrustive critisism, and any other feedback that would help me to improve on the forum. If you would like you can post your review here or email it at [email protected].

I'm also after some moderators for the site.

Thanks,
                          Chris

Comment

Chris, you have a very nice site there. Neutral colors work really well. You didn't stry too much from the stock skin, save the header, footer and obvious customization to FORUMHOME templates, which is good. Less to revert on upgrade. The tcat and thead effects are really nice as well. I would do a few things though, finish changing the stock icons, collapse buttons, and try to get the banner ads centered vertically in the space allocated. Try adjusting the containing div padding and/or margin. When I tried to view the calendar, I got the login screen, which is ok, but you should probably put a conditional in your header to alternately hide the option for those who can't see it. I also noticed in that same screen that the panel and panel surround classes still have default colors which don't compliment the site much. I don't know if this is by design or what, but the "quicklinks" popup never shows. If you have the option off, then you should hide the button too. That's it from a techincal POV.

From a personal POV I think you have the makings of a great web design community as long as you fix the things above and keep it clean from silly hacks like the arcade which have no place on a dev site.

Comment

These reviews seem very complete, could be helpful.

Could you give me some feedback on my two styles?

http://www.tikigames.com/boards/?styleid=4
                              http://www.tikigames.com/boards/?styleid=3

Thanks!

Comment

Ok im getting on this train to =)

http://www.croft-designs.com/forum/?styleid=35
                                Custom design for another forum. Would be fun to se some review of it.

http://www.croft-designs.com/forum/?styleid=29
                                A free style i made. Its a first person shoter style.

http://www.croft-designs.com/forum/?styleid=30
                                And this style.

Would be realy nice with some reviews of them =)
                                Pimp Daddy Croft Magazine

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X