Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this possible without file modifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible without file modifications?

I would like to have the forum homepage run some javascript if a new announcement has been made since the user's last visit. Is this possible without file modifications? If so, then please tell me how I would do this. If it is not possible, then I will ask for help at VB.org.

I originally stopped using the built in announcements and used a forum because no one ever read my announcements. I think that this would be the solution to this problem. I already know the javascript I want to use (simple popup box telling you there's a new announcement), but I need to know how to check if I need to run it. Can anyone help?

I have no idea about javascript, I have too little experience with it. But maybe the timestamp for the lastvisit and the announcement creation date can be matched against eachother in a conditional, and if it is smaller/greater - load javascript, and otherwise it won't do anything.

<if condition="variable_1 < variable_2"><script ...></script></if>

Comment

That sounds like it would work, but I looked and I can't figure out what variable names I need to use. If I can get that, then I should be able to make it. Can you help with this too?

Comment

The announcement table holds startdate and enddate as fieldnames, and post table has dateline as fieldname. Maybe its something like $announcement[startdate] > $post[dateline]

Hm, we need someone with more skills in here!

Comment

Both of those values don't seem to work...hmmm...

Well, VB has a built in system that makes a box pop up if there's been a new pm since your last visit, no? Perhaps we could adapt this code to checking for announcements?

Comment

Adapt code = vbulletin.org

Comment

I guess that's what I'll have to do then.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X