Working on Swedish for 3.7.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alme View Post
    I'm considering starting a new Swedish translation now, since I need to get my board rolling. I've just got a few questions:

- Can i import the Swedish translation for 3.6.x and extend it?
    - Can I translate even strings that are in add-on products, or would that mess things up?
    Yes, I believe that's how Anders is doing it. Using the swedish language pack for 3.6.8 and the translating everything that's not covered.

For the add ons I dont know, I think that they have a separate language file? Which add ons are you thinking about?

I also need to get my board rolling as sonn as possible!!

Comment

Update on progress

Just to give you an update how the work is progressing.

I had some other things turn up that I needed to do (you have to accept that, I don't get any money for doing the translation).

Anyway, things have moved on and it want take too long time until it's done. Unfortunately I will be away this coming weekend (a conference at Yasuragi, Hasseludden, for those who know were that is ).
      But if I can do some time every other night and squeeze in a few phrases during short breakes at work it might be finished enough to upload a copy of it here on vbulletin.com sometimes next week.

In the meantime I can through out a few things that I could need some help with.

In the FAQ there is explanation on cookies, and how to clear them in diferent browsers.
      Since I don't have all these browsers installed, maybe some people here coudl help out to get the correct words that these browsers use in Swedish.
      This is the part I need:
      In Firefox: Click the 'Tools' menu. Select 'Options' from the menu that appears. From the dialog box, select 'Privacy' on the left. Find 'Cookies' on the main pane, and click the 'Clear' button adjacent to it.

In Safari: Go to Preferences, Security, then show Cookies and either select 'Remove all' or select individual cookies and then the 'Delete' button.

In Opera: Go to Tools, Preferences, Advanced, Cookies, Manage cookies then select the name of this site and click the 'Delete' button.
      I don't want to guess, what words these browsers have choosen to translate their menu options to.

Another thing is the "Notices" as explained in this post. That gives a text just under the navbar for a user that fullfill the criteria given for that notice.
      I have translated this as "notiser" in Swedish.
      Then we have the "Your notifications" in the drop down menu under your username. It shows up if you have new unread PM, friend requests, unread visitor messages etc.
      Should this also be called "notiser"? or is there any better word.

Then we have the "buddy list" that used to be called "kompislista", this has been changed a little since in the English we now have friends and contacts. However "vänlista" doesn't feel very good, but I can't find any better either. So please come with suggestions.

And also please consider the different situations each word are used in, it has to work in all these different contexts. To just translate word by word is not difficult.

And finally for those of you waiting for the language file for 3.7.0, it works pretty well to use the older 3.6.8, most wil be translated anyway, and your user would manage anyway.

/Anders
      Anders Pettersson
      Don't send me requests by PM to email you the Swedish language file that I have done. My translation is only available here at vbulletin.com to licensed users.
      If you want updates on when a new version of the Swedish language packs (forum & suite) are available, subscribe to this discussion.
      Don't PM me for support on how to install language files etc. please post in the appropriate forum, that will most likely give you help quicker.

Comment

A few suggestions:

Your Notifications = Händelser
        Friends = Vänner
        Friends/Buddy list = Vänner
        Contacts = Kontakter

Comment

First off I think you're doing a great job translating this for us! But that doesn't change the fact that I need the language pack as soon as possible

Maybe donating a few dollars(or kronor) could help?

Notifications/Your Notifications = Notiser/Notiser or Händelser/Händelser
          Friends = Vänner
          Contacts = Kontakter

I think you could call Buddy List just "Vänner" instead of "Kompislista" or "Vännerlista", that's sounds weird. The same with Notifications and Your Notifications, think they both could be called the same, "Notiser" or "Händelser" for example.

Förslag till Firefox:

Firefox: Klicka på 'Verktyg' och välj sedan 'Inställningar' på den meny som kommer upp. Klicka på 'Sekretess'. Under 'Kakor', klicka på 'Visa kakor..' och sedan på 'Ta bort alla'.

Comment

En version utan FAQ ganska snart vore kanon.

Comment

You can always do like what I did. Use the translation for 3.6.x and then copy and paste other translations from Anders own site.

Comment

Isn't there many copy and pastes? I already have an old translation.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianAlfred View Post
                  En version utan FAQ ganska snart vore kanon.
                  Agree! Thinking about isntalling the swedish lang pack for 3.6.8 and translate the rest my self(excluding the FAQ) but it feels like double work when Anders already is working on it.

Any further updates?

Comment

Agree with you Pewa. I think the translation from Anders is so good, my own translation will be worse.

Comment

Anders, have you been able to work anything on the translation?

I can see on your forum that msot of the FAQ is translated, does that mean it's close to a release?

Comment

Låter som fantastiska nyheter. Kolla här varje dag här om någon har hänt.

Comment

Anders P, any news? Please?

Noticed you haven't been online here for 10 days..

Comment

Also want to know if he working on it or maybe he have taken som time off.

Comment

Hi all.

There has been some progress, but unfortunately a computer crashed for me so I had to spend some time with that.

I have to go to a meeting at work in a few minutes, but I plan to submitt my translation, even if some things are missing, this week. (hopefully tonight, or at the latest this weekend).

I wil try and get back and post what is done and what phrases I would like some input on when I get back from the meeting.

Since I just noticed that 3.7.1 is released I will only continue to translate the 3.7.0 until I upgrade teh forum I administrate (probably this weekend).

I will get back in a short while.

/Anders
                              Anders Pettersson
                              Don't send me requests by PM to email you the Swedish language file that I have done. My translation is only available here at vbulletin.com to licensed users.
                              If you want updates on when a new version of the Swedish language packs (forum & suite) are available, subscribe to this discussion.
                              Don't PM me for support on how to install language files etc. please post in the appropriate forum, that will most likely give you help quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by pewa View Post
                                First off I think you're doing a great job translating this for us! But that doesn't change the fact that I need the language pack as soon as possible
                                Thanks for the kind words, as I wrote above I will soon submit it.

Maybe donating a few dollars(or kronor) could help?
                                Money is always nice, but it is hard to buy time. :/

Notifications/Your Notifications = Notiser/Notiser or Händelser/Händelser
                                Friends = Vänner
                                Contacts = Kontakter

I think you could call Buddy List just "Vänner" instead of "Kompislista" or "Vännerlista", that's sounds weird. The same with Notifications and Your Notifications, think they both could be called the same, "Notiser" or "Händelser" for example.
                                I've gone with "vänner", no need to write "vännerlista", as you write it sounds weird. For Contacts I have already used "Kontakter", but notices and notifications are a little more difficult I think.

"Händelser" is already used for "events" in the calendar. I have translated "Notices" to "notiser", and this is a different thing than "Notifications".
                                So the question is what Swedish word is best suited for this in the context it is used? I prefer to not use the same word for two different things (Notices and Notifications are not the same thing and thus should not be translated to the same in Swedish, IMHO).

Förslag till Firefox:

Firefox: Klicka på 'Verktyg' och välj sedan 'Inställningar' på den meny som kommer upp. Klicka på 'Sekretess'. Under 'Kakor', klicka på 'Visa kakor..' och sedan på 'Ta bort alla'.
                                Thanks for that. I still need help with Opera and Safari. If anyone out there has a Swedish version of those browsers.

/Anders
                                Anders Pettersson

Comment