Clear All

• JompaMP
    replied
    hey i just wanna ask how its going?

Leave a comment:

• Anders P
    replied
    Originally posted by maipoman View Post
    Anders, kanske jag är helt fel ute... men jag skulle vilja kalla det för "varningar" helt enkelt. Det är väl ändå varningar det handlar om?

"Give Infraction" -> "Ge varning"
    "Infraction Received: {1}" -> "Varning mottagen: {1}"
    "Active Infraction ({1} Point(s))" -> "Aktiva varningar ({1} poäng)"
    "User Infraction" -> "Användarvarningar"
    Yes, the first thing I thought of was to use "varning", but this system has "Warnings" and "infractions", so we would have two "levels" of "varningar". :/

Well I will think of it, and try out the functions to better understand how it can be used. Then it is usually easier to find a better translation.

Hope fully I can submit a 3.6 translation in the not so far future.

/Anders

Leave a comment:

• Marsupilami
    replied
    Originally posted by Anders P View Post
    ...The thing with translations is that in order to get a good translation of a short phrase you need to know in what context it is used, and that is not always obvious when looking at some words or short sentences in the master language. If a phrase is used in the front end you can search in what templates it is used and find out, but sometimes when it is in the ACP and you only have a live board to work on you can't really try everything to see in what context each phrase pops up.
    Worth noting, is that i had corruption in the phrasing XML caused by importing the swedish language style with english language set (of course), then exporting it with language set to swedish, and then trying to import it again after upgrade of vb, with english set.
    I think the whole phrasing should better be exempted from translation.

Concerning the immaculate word "infraction":
    My suggestion is to simply translate "infraction" into "infraktion", and do the translation with this new "swenglish" word.

That would be a good attempt at "lagomizing" the translation work. If you catch my drift.

And the word "infraktion" has a nice and "distinctive entropy" and will thus be easy to search for when you found a better translation for it.

And when (if) you find that better translation you might as well continue to find a better english translation of the swedish word "ombudsman".

Regards, Johan

Leave a comment:

• maipoman
    replied
    Anders, kanske jag är helt fel ute... men jag skulle vilja kalla det för "varningar" helt enkelt. Det är väl ändå varningar det handlar om?

"Give Infraction" -> "Ge varning"
    "Infraction Received: {1}" -> "Varning mottagen: {1}"
    "Active Infraction ({1} Point(s))" -> "Aktiva varningar ({1} poäng)"
    "User Infraction" -> "Användarvarningar"

Leave a comment:

• Anders P
    replied
    Originally posted by Luggruff View Post
    I just simply think you will have to translate it individually.. phrase by phrase.
    There are something like a little over 8500 phrases in vBulletin, about 2750 of those phrases are help texts in the ACP.
    I think that I have translated about 5500 - 6000 of those phrases, most of what is untranslated is the help texts, so I am pretty aware of that one need to translate each phrase individually.

The thing with translations is that in order to get a good translation of a short phrase you need to know in what context it is used, and that is not always obvious when looking at some words or short sentences in the master language. If a phrase is used in the front end you can search in what templates it is used and find out, but sometimes when it is in the ACP and you only have a live board to work on you can't really try everything to see in what context each phrase pops up.

This is why I posted this question, to ask for opinions on how to translate the infraction phrases in a good way so it would work in Swedish.
    If you translate each phrase without thinking of the context and to have some consistency with phrases that deal with the same issue it would also be a bad translation.

So if you look at my first post again I would like to have suggstions on how to translate the infraction system phrases, I don't need a translation of the word "infraction", but a suggestion of something that would work in all the phrases that deal with this in vBulletin.

To simply just translate infraction to "överträdelse" doesn't realy work in Swedish, especially in some phrases.

To give an idea here are some random phrases from the "infraction system"

Active Infraction ({1} Point(s))
    User Infraction for {1}
    User Infraction
    Removal of this infraction will remove the infraction points that were awarded for this offense and decrement the user's infractions/warnings total.
    Infraction Received: {1}
    Infraction Level
    Give Infraction

So do you have any suggestions on what to call this system of infractions, if one would use "överträdelse" there need to be some different wording for some phrases (i.e. not translated but expressed quite differently in order to get a understandable context).

As you probably realise teh following "direct" translations wouldn't be very good:
    "Give Infraction" -> "Ge överträdelse"
    "Infraction Received: {1}" -> "Erhållen överträdelse: {1}"
    "Active Infraction ({1} Point(s))" -> "Aktiva överträdelser ({1} poäng)"
    "User Infraction" -> "Användaröverträdelse"

This would be somewhat better:
    "Give Infraction" -> "Registrera överträdelse"
    "Infraction Received: {1}" -> "Erhållit rött kort för: {1}"
    "Active Infraction ({1} Point(s))" -> "Aktiva straffpoäng för överträdelser ({1} poäng)"

However the above examples is not consistent in its wording. I am thinking if to use "överträdelse", "förseelse" or "straffpoäng" etc. Or maybe call warnings yellow card (as that is how the icon looks like) and the infractions could be red card, i.e. "gult kort" or "varning" and "rött kort".

So is there anyone with knowledge in Swedish and who also know how the infractions system works in VB 3.6 that have suggestions on how I shall make the translation?

I don't need a link to a dictionary.

/Anders

Leave a comment:

• Luggruff
    replied
    Originally posted by Anders P View Post
    OK, to follow the rules I reply in both English and Swedish.

I know what it means, but the problem is to find a good word that works in this context. And the word "överträdelse" doesn't feel 100% in the context that "infraction" is used in some phrases.
    I have tried out some versions in the forum I administrate and had some help by some moderators there, so we might find a way that will work. But it isn't just as easy to do a straight translation from "infraction" to "överträdelse" in all phrases, not if you want a good translation anyway.

Swedish:
    Ja, jag vet vad det betyder, men för att få till det till något ord som fungerar bra i detta sammanhang så kändes inte "överträdelse" hundraprocentigt bra i alla lägen. I en del fraser funkar det men i en del andra sammanhang känns det väldigt konstigt att översätta det så.
    Jag har provat lite varianter på formuleringar på forumet som jag sköter och har haft lite hjälp av moderatorer så vi hittar kanske en formulering för dem fraser som ingår i detta system. Men det är inte så enkelt som att översätta "infraction" rakt av till "överträdelse", inte om man vill ha en bra översättning i alla fall.

/Anders
    Well, all words can't be directly translated to fit in all sentences and phrases. Some times, since it's a totally different language with different formulations and sayings on just about everything, I just simply think you will have to translate it individually.. phrase by phrase.

Leave a comment:

• Anders P
    replied
    Originally posted by pasargad View Post
    Hej Anders,

Thanks for the great work you are doing in this. I would really appreciate if you could release the new language pack before translating "infraction system".

Regards
    Hi and thanks for the appreciation.

I will at least do the updated phrases first, since some of them are changes for how to explain settings and other things it is neccesary to do that first, but if I have the time it won't take that long before I can put up a 3.6 version.

But the latest 3.5.x version here works pretty good as well. I have posted my latest 3.5.3, but it hasn't been released by the adminis here yet, they wanted me to transform it to 3.5.5 first but I can't do that right now, so I guess you have to wait for that one.

/Anders

Leave a comment:

• Anders P
    replied
    Originally posted by Luggruff View Post
    sök på "svensk-engelsk ordbok" på google, välj sedan det första resultatet och sök på infraction.

Det betyder något i stil med "överträdelse" (utav bestämmelse/regel)
    OK, to follow the rules I reply in both English and Swedish.

I know what it means, but the problem is to find a good word that works in this context. And the word "överträdelse" doesn't feel 100% in the context that "infraction" is used in some phrases.
    I have tried out some versions in the forum I administrate and had some help by some moderators there, so we might find a way that will work. But it isn't just as easy to do a straight translation from "infraction" to "överträdelse" in all phrases, not if you want a good translation anyway.

Swedish:
    Ja, jag vet vad det betyder, men för att få till det till något ord som fungerar bra i detta sammanhang så kändes inte "överträdelse" hundraprocentigt bra i alla lägen. I en del fraser funkar det men i en del andra sammanhang känns det väldigt konstigt att översätta det så.
    Jag har provat lite varianter på formuleringar på forumet som jag sköter och har haft lite hjälp av moderatorer så vi hittar kanske en formulering för dem fraser som ingår i detta system. Men det är inte så enkelt som att översätta "infraction" rakt av till "överträdelse", inte om man vill ha en bra översättning i alla fall.

/Anders

Leave a comment:

• Luggruff
    replied
    sök på "svensk-engelsk ordbok" på google, välj sedan det första resultatet och sök på infraction.

Det betyder något i stil med "överträdelse" (utav bestämmelse/regel)

Leave a comment:

• pasargad
    replied
    Hej Anders,

Thanks for the great work you are doing in this. I would really appreciate if you could release the new language pack before translating "infraction system".

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Anders P
    started a topic Swedish for 3.6.0 - work in progress

Swedish for 3.6.0 - work in progress

Hi.

I have now updated the forum I administrate (from 3.5.3 to 3.6.0) and started to translate the new things for 3.6.0.

I still have some of the updated phrases to go over (also have to check for changes between 3.5.3 & 3.5.5), but have done most of what was needed for the front-end in 3.6.0.

However there are some things that I would appreciate help from other Swedish speaking people with.

The new "infraction system" have a lot of phrases that need to be translated and I haven't figured out (yet) what a good Swedish word for this would be.

Anyone have any ideas?

If there is an interest I can release a translation without the infraction systems translated (doesn't really matters if you don't use it), otherwise I will fix that first before loading up the 3.6.0 translation.

/Anders