Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Dutch Translation in the works

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good luck with the release.

    Can you run a query and see how many phrases have been translated? None of the control panel has been translated?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Floris View Post
      how many phrases have been translated?
      I have no idea.

      None of the control panel has been translated?
      Only the phrases that also show up in the forum.
      "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
      - Edsger Dijkstra

      Comment


      • Agreed.

        Originally posted by renep View Post
        I think the choice is rather arbitrary. There's something to be said for 'onderwerp' (topic), as indeed not every thread is a discussion.

        OTOH, an 'onderwerp' is not an object, it's the property of an object. A discussion can have a topic, a conversation can have a topic, a book can have a topic, but you can't win, post in or read a topic, says my 'taalgevoel'. Try it. Say a friend returns from a meeting. So you ask: "Heb je nog wat gezegd in dat onderwerp?" It sounds silly.

        Perhaps 'conversatie', or less formal: 'gesprek' woult strictly speaking be better than 'discussie', but it sounds rather 'kunstmatig' and 'ongebruikelijk'.

        Also 'discussie' is closer to vB's English original.

        Anyway, it's too late now. Choices were made, texts have been translated, tears have been shed, invoices have been sent, bytes burnt to cd-rom. Topic closed, discussions will go on for ever
        Well... thanks for this informative reply.

        And I have to say : I agree with you. Although I do think that it's more logical (because not every new thread would neccesarily evolve into a discussion) to call it [New Topic] instead of [New Thread], my own 'feel of language' (<--- ha... is this understandable?) agrees with yours : 'discussion' fits best. You have provided a good example really for this.

        I am very pleased with the professional level of this great Language Pack : it was very much needed after waiting for more then 5 years! Thanks a lot!
        How much do you love XenForo?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by renep View Post
          I have no idea.

          Only the phrases that also show up in the forum.
          Well... I decided to post a suggestion about this issue : Translate the Front- and Backend seperately.
          How much do you love XenForo?

          Comment


          • Or.. You could just say "topic".. Like "download" and "upload". And more words.

            I mean, some words just are better in English then in Dutch.
            IMO.
            http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
            The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Eagle Creek View Post
              Or.. You could just say "topic".. Like "download" and "upload". And more words.

              I mean, some words just are better in English then in Dutch.
              IMO.
              I agree.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Eagle Creek View Post
                Or.. You could just say "topic".. Like "download" and "upload". And more words.

                I mean, some words just are better in English then in Dutch.
                IMO.
                Originally posted by Floris View Post
                I agree.
                Ofcourse some words are best left in english, because they are integrated so well in the dutch language over the years. Like you have correctly pointed out : 'download' and 'upload' are terms that are in the new Dutch Language Pack, because there's no real dutch equivalent for it.

                But I really have to disagree on the term 'topic'. Why would you want to use that phrase if 'onderwerp' is the correct translation for it? I can't imagine that there are many dutch websites at the moment that uses the phrase 'topic' instead of 'onderwerp'. So I don't understand your suggestion, really.
                How much do you love XenForo?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Grover View Post
                  Ofcourse some words are best left in english, because they are integrated so well in the dutch language over the years. Like you have correctly pointed out : 'download' and 'upload' are terms that are in the new Dutch Language Pack, because there's no real dutch equivalent for it.

                  But I really have to disagree on the term 'topic'. Why would you want to use that phrase if 'onderwerp' is the correct translation for it? I can't imagine that there are many dutch websites at the moment that uses the phrase 'topic' instead of 'onderwerp'. So I don't understand your suggestion, really.
                  And again I agree.

                  Comment


                  • Ok, true.. But "thread" would be something like "draadje" and that sounds stupid.

                    I mean, a thread can have a topic.
                    So a thread can have a onderwerp.

                    You don't make a new onderwerp, you make a new thread with a topic to talk about.
                    http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                    The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Eagle Creek View Post
                      Ok, true.. But "thread" would be something like "draadje" and that sounds stupid.

                      I mean, a thread can have a topic.
                      So a thread can have a onderwerp.

                      You don't make a new onderwerp, you make a new thread with a topic to talk about.
                      Exactly, that is what Rene tried to point out in his explanation why they choose to use 'Discussie' instead of 'Onderwerp'. And reading his very good explanation....

                      Originally posted by renep
                      OTOH, an 'onderwerp' is not an object, it's the property of an object. A discussion can have a topic, a conversation can have a topic, a book can have a topic, but you can't win, post in or read a topic, says my 'taalgevoel'. Try it. Say a friend returns from a meeting. So you ask: "Heb je nog wat gezegd in dat onderwerp?" It sounds silly.
                      ..... I fully agree on the term 'Discussie'.

                      What a great language pack! I can't stress enough how happy I am with it.
                      How much do you love XenForo?

                      Comment


                      • Zeg Eagle, waar kan ik jouw knoppen vinden?
                        :rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes:

                        Comment


                        • I've uploaded them and they guys from vBulletin say they want to check them first. So.. I'm still waiting for that.

                          I won't place the URL here, but I can send you an PB. I don't think that's disallowed.
                          http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                          The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Eagle Creek View Post
                            some words just are better in English then in Dutch. IMO.
                            Yes, but 'topic' is not one of them, IMO. I never hear that word in casual conversation between Dutch people (outside of the forum and information architecture business).
                            "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
                            - Edsger Dijkstra

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by renep View Post
                              Yes, but 'topic' is not one of them, IMO. I never hear that word in casual conversation between Dutch people (outside of the forum and information architecture business).
                              No, so it can be called "vakjargon". I don't hear people about DOWNLOADING when thei're not talking about computers or internet.

                              You know what I mean?
                              http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                              The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Eagle Creek View Post
                                No, so it can be called "vakjargon". I don't hear people about DOWNLOADING when thei're not talking about computers or internet.

                                You know what I mean?
                                No, I'm afraid I don't
                                "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
                                - Edsger Dijkstra

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X