Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marocnl
    replied
    If I were to just install your translation on a 3.6 forum now, what awful death awaits me ? Doesn't it just work? Or has no one tested this yet?

Leave a comment:

• marocnl
    replied
    Originally posted by renep View Post
    But what does that mean? Even if you honour all decisions of the original, it still needs to be translated in Dutch and make sense to Dutch-speaking people.

I hope you're not suggesting to translate 'avatar' to 'incarnatie' and 'thread' to 'draad'
    Heh. Yes and no. As the creators chose to use a mythical notion from Hindi, I would say to do so as well... Avatar = Avatar.

As for thread. I would use 'draad' indeed. Thread is not a notion in English and should be translated IMHO. (Thread in English sounds just as weird for English people as 'draad' in Dutch would sound to Dutch people.)

Leave a comment:

• renep
    replied
    Originally posted by marocnl View Post
    In the original, the creators have chosen to use the word avatar, originating from Hindi/Saskrit. (See Wikipedia quote below.) Also, the creators chose to use words like thread above discussion or topic. In a (professional) translation those disicions should be honored.
    But what does that mean? Even if you honour all decisions of the original, it still needs to be translated in Dutch and make sense to Dutch-speaking people.

I hope you're not suggesting to translate 'avatar' to 'incarnatie' and 'thread' to 'draad'

Leave a comment:

• marocnl
    replied
    Do I understand correctly that no one has volunteered to translate the buttons? 'typisch' as said in Dutch .

I am (extremely) busy myself until mid-September. But I will try to translate those IF I have the time. Please don't let this stop anybody willing to translate as well, for chances are that I might not have that time.

Leave a comment:

• marocnl
    replied
    Let me start by thanking for this professional translation effort.

I want to give you my opinion about translations of words like avatar and thread.

It is my believe that a translation should be done in the same spirit/intent of the original. Not to improve the concept, but just to translate it.

In the original, the creators have chosen to use the word avatar, originating from Hindi/Saskrit. (See Wikipedia quote below.) Also, the creators chose to use words like thread above discussion or topic. In a (professional) translation those disicions should be honored.

Het woord avatar komt van oorsprong uit het Sanskriet. Het betekent de incarnatie.
    In het hindoeïsme kan een avatar bijvoorbeeld de incarnatie van God of Saguna Brahma (meestal Vishnu) in een menselijk of dierlijk lichaam zijn. Vooral vaishnavieten geloven in avatars, veel andere hindoes geloven niet dat God in zijn geheel als avatar kan incarneren.
    In het epos Mahabharata komt Krishna voor, die een avatar is van Vishnu.

Leave a comment:

• renep
    replied
    Originally posted by Grover View Post
    Or maybe the 'Moderation' dropdown-menu beneath the forum?
    That's the one.

Or do you just make a difference between the frontend (forum) and the backend (admincp/modcp).
    Exactly.

I think it would prefer it if ALL admin/modfunctions are just in english, aswell on the frontend as the backend?
    Those English phrases in otherwise Dutch pages looked somewhat silly.

I know we'll now probably get the flip-side of the coin in the modcp (Dutch phrases in English pages). We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    • The moderation menu that (super) moderators see in the forum is now translated. We overlooked that functionality in 0.1.
    Hi Rene,

I don't run vB 3.5.x (yet) so I can't test it myself, but you mean the 'Admin Tools' options inside the Thread Tools dropdown? Or maybe the 'Moderation' dropdown-menu beneath the forum?

If that's the case, why exactly have you chosen to translate those moderator functions? I thought all admin/mod functions were not going to be translated? Or do you just make a difference between the frontend (forum) and the backend (admincp/modcp).

I think it would prefer it if ALL admin/modfunctions are just in english, aswell on the frontend as the backend?

I wonder how it will work now, with the moderator-functions in the frontend being translated, but not in the backend (shouldn't it be consistent : either translate ALL moderatorfuntions (backend and frontend) or translate nothing?). I will try and install vB 3.5.x as soon as possible and see what I think of it.
    Last edited by Grover; Tue 15 Aug '06, 12:46am.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Creek
    replied
    Nice nice nice!!

Leave a comment:

• renep
    replied
    Production release

The production release of the new Dutch Translation (1.0) for vB 3.5.x is there Again created by Ysolde Bentvelsen, native Dutch speaker and certified translator English>Dutch. Enjoy!

The improvements from 0.1 to 1.0 are:
    • The moderation menu that (super) moderators see in the forum is now translated. We overlooked that functionality in 0.1.
    • 'Avatar' is now translated as 'schermafbeelding' instead of '(fantasie)afbeelding', as more or less agreed in this thread.
    • Various improvements in the signup form for a usergroup.
    • Fixed a few typo's and such.
    You can see this translation in action in the forums in my sig.

We still expect to release our translation for vB 3.6 by september 12. The usual disclaimers apply.
    Last edited by renep; Mon 14 Aug '06, 2:40pm.

Leave a comment:

• renep
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    I am not sure why this has to be capitals?
    ÈÈn
    I don't understand what happened Floris. I don't see this in the release on our website. I see "één", properly encoded in ISO-8859-1 as specified in the xml declaration.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Code:
    <phrase name="about_to_delete_posts_in_x_by_users"><![CDATA[Je staat op het punt alle berichten en onderwerpen te verwijderen in {1} van ÈÈn van deze gebruikers. Maak je keuze:]]></phrase>
    I am not sure why this has to be capitals?

ÈÈn

Leave a comment:

• Zidane007nl
    replied
    Yeah, just keep it named avatar. I did that too when I translated Burning Board Lite to Dutch.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Creek
    replied
    This is a funny coincidence. 2 years ago I reported the same errors in the other dutch language pack: here.
    The old language pack said "orgineel gepost door" and not "origineel gepost door". So that's better already .

Avatar: just avatar or schermafbeelding is best I think.

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    This is similar to MSN's 'schermafbeelding'. I've never used MSN, but I assume users have a 'scherm' where the 'afbeelding' appears.
    Well...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    Change of plan: the quality of this translation seems to be very good, so we'll shorten the beta period and move forward to vB 3.6
    Brilliant! Another one of my wishes fullfilled! I am very happy with this high-quality project!
    Last edited by Grover; Tue 8 Aug '06, 2:13am.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X