No announcement yet.

New Dutch Translation in the works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of plan: the quality of this translation seems to be very good, so we'll shorten the beta period and move forward to vB 3.6

We'll continue collecting feedback till august 11 and release our translation 1.0 for vB 3.5 on or about august 15. This will probably be our last release for vB 3.5.

We'll then upgrade our own forums to vB 3.6 in the second half of august and translate new texts. I expect our translation for vB 3.6 to be available on or about september 12.

The usual disclaimers apply.
    "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

About 'avatar' again...

Since 'profielafbeelding' is called 'profielafbeelding' because it's the 'afbeelding' one sees in your 'profiel', why not call avatar:
      • 'forumafbeelding', of
      • 'berichtenafbeelding' ?
      This is similar to MSN's 'schermafbeelding'. I've never used MSN, but I assume users have a 'scherm' where the 'afbeelding' appears.

We don't have a 'scherm'. In vB we have a 'forum', 'discussie', or 'bericht'. And people see your avatar in the 'forum', or next to your 'berichten'.

I like the idea of 'profielafbeelding' and 'berichtenafbeelding'. But then, tastes differ
      "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
      - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

Originally posted by renep View Post
        Change of plan: the quality of this translation seems to be very good, so we'll shorten the beta period and move forward to vB 3.6
        Brilliant! Another one of my wishes fullfilled! I am very happy with this high-quality project!
        Last edited by Grover; Tue 8 Aug '06, 3:13am.
        How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

This is similar to MSN's 'schermafbeelding'. I've never used MSN, but I assume users have a 'scherm' where the 'afbeelding' appears.
          Well...
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Grover View Post
            This is a funny coincidence. 2 years ago I reported the same errors in the other dutch language pack: here.
            The old language pack said "orgineel gepost door" and not "origineel gepost door". So that's better already .

Avatar: just avatar or schermafbeelding is best I think.
            http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
            The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

Yeah, just keep it named avatar. I did that too when I translated Burning Board Lite to Dutch.
              Square Enix Forums

Comment

Code:
                <phrase name="about_to_delete_posts_in_x_by_users"><![CDATA[Je staat op het punt alle berichten en onderwerpen te verwijderen in {1} van ÈÈn van deze gebruikers. Maak je keuze:]]></phrase>
                I am not sure why this has to be capitals?

ÈÈn

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                  I am not sure why this has to be capitals?
                  ÈÈn
                  I don't understand what happened Floris. I don't see this in the release on our website. I see "één", properly encoded in ISO-8859-1 as specified in the xml declaration.
                  - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

Production release

The production release of the new Dutch Translation (1.0) for vB 3.5.x is there Again created by Ysolde Bentvelsen, native Dutch speaker and certified translator English>Dutch. Enjoy!

The improvements from 0.1 to 1.0 are:
                    • The moderation menu that (super) moderators see in the forum is now translated. We overlooked that functionality in 0.1.
                    • 'Avatar' is now translated as 'schermafbeelding' instead of '(fantasie)afbeelding', as more or less agreed in this thread.
                    • Various improvements in the signup form for a usergroup.
                    • Fixed a few typo's and such.
                    You can see this translation in action in the forums in my sig.

We still expect to release our translation for vB 3.6 by september 12. The usual disclaimers apply.
                    Last edited by renep; Mon 14 Aug '06, 3:40pm.
                    - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

Nice nice nice!!
                      http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                      The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

• The moderation menu that (super) moderators see in the forum is now translated. We overlooked that functionality in 0.1.
                        Hi Rene,

I don't run vB 3.5.x (yet) so I can't test it myself, but you mean the 'Admin Tools' options inside the Thread Tools dropdown? Or maybe the 'Moderation' dropdown-menu beneath the forum?

If that's the case, why exactly have you chosen to translate those moderator functions? I thought all admin/mod functions were not going to be translated? Or do you just make a difference between the frontend (forum) and the backend (admincp/modcp).

I think it would prefer it if ALL admin/modfunctions are just in english, aswell on the frontend as the backend?

I wonder how it will work now, with the moderator-functions in the frontend being translated, but not in the backend (shouldn't it be consistent : either translate ALL moderatorfuntions (backend and frontend) or translate nothing?). I will try and install vB 3.5.x as soon as possible and see what I think of it.
                        Last edited by Grover; Tue 15 Aug '06, 1:46am.

Comment

Or maybe the 'Moderation' dropdown-menu beneath the forum?
                          That's the one.

Or do you just make a difference between the frontend (forum) and the backend (admincp/modcp).
                          Exactly.

I think it would prefer it if ALL admin/modfunctions are just in english, aswell on the frontend as the backend?
                          Those English phrases in otherwise Dutch pages looked somewhat silly.

I know we'll now probably get the flip-side of the coin in the modcp (Dutch phrases in English pages). We'll see.
                          - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

Let me start by thanking for this professional translation effort.

I want to give you my opinion about translations of words like avatar and thread.

It is my believe that a translation should be done in the same spirit/intent of the original. Not to improve the concept, but just to translate it.

In the original, the creators have chosen to use the word avatar, originating from Hindi/Saskrit. (See Wikipedia quote below.) Also, the creators chose to use words like thread above discussion or topic. In a (professional) translation those disicions should be honored.

Het woord avatar komt van oorsprong uit het Sanskriet. Het betekent de incarnatie.
                            In het hindoeïsme kan een avatar bijvoorbeeld de incarnatie van God of Saguna Brahma (meestal Vishnu) in een menselijk of dierlijk lichaam zijn. Vooral vaishnavieten geloven in avatars, veel andere hindoes geloven niet dat God in zijn geheel als avatar kan incarneren.
                            In het epos Mahabharata komt Krishna voor, die een avatar is van Vishnu.
                            :rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes:

Comment

Do I understand correctly that no one has volunteered to translate the buttons? 'typisch' as said in Dutch .

I am (extremely) busy myself until mid-September. But I will try to translate those IF I have the time. Please don't let this stop anybody willing to translate as well, for chances are that I might not have that time.
                              :rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by marocnl View Post
                                In the original, the creators have chosen to use the word avatar, originating from Hindi/Saskrit. (See Wikipedia quote below.) Also, the creators chose to use words like thread above discussion or topic. In a (professional) translation those disicions should be honored.
                                But what does that mean? Even if you honour all decisions of the original, it still needs to be translated in Dutch and make sense to Dutch-speaking people.

I hope you're not suggesting to translate 'avatar' to 'incarnatie' and 'thread' to 'draad'
                                - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X