Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle Creek
    replied
    Marco, send me a PB with your wishes. I can make an update.

Leave a comment:

• marocnl
    replied
    EagleCreek,

All your gifs are still in English ... Check your zipfile. [Edit: I looked again today, and found the buttons translated! Thanks!]

Btw, thanks for the credits. But to be honoust, marocnl has no copyright on the applinet translation, as mentioned in your readme. I just took the time to ask around and have you translate the buttons

Please update your zipfile with translated buttons.

[Edit 2: The Quote button still is quote. The translation calls it 'Citaat' (or maybe 'Citeer' ?!)]
    Last edited by marocnl; Thu 21 Sep '06, 10:37am.

Leave a comment:

• renep
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagle Creek View Post
    No, so it can be called "vakjargon". I don't hear people about DOWNLOADING when thei're not talking about computers or internet.

You know what I mean?
    No, I'm afraid I don't

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Creek
    replied
    Originally posted by renep View Post
    Yes, but 'topic' is not one of them, IMO. I never hear that word in casual conversation between Dutch people (outside of the forum and information architecture business).
    No, so it can be called "vakjargon". I don't hear people about DOWNLOADING when thei're not talking about computers or internet.

You know what I mean?

Leave a comment:

• renep
    replied
    some words just are better in English then in Dutch. IMO.
    Yes, but 'topic' is not one of them, IMO. I never hear that word in casual conversation between Dutch people (outside of the forum and information architecture business).

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Creek
    replied
    I've uploaded them and they guys from vBulletin say they want to check them first. So.. I'm still waiting for that.

I won't place the URL here, but I can send you an PB. I don't think that's disallowed.

Leave a comment:

• marocnl
    replied
    Zeg Eagle, waar kan ik jouw knoppen vinden?

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    Ok, true.. But "thread" would be something like "draadje" and that sounds stupid.

I mean, a thread can have a topic.
    So a thread can have a onderwerp.

You don't make a new onderwerp, you make a new thread with a topic to talk about.
    Exactly, that is what Rene tried to point out in his explanation why they choose to use 'Discussie' instead of 'Onderwerp'. And reading his very good explanation....

Originally posted by renep
    OTOH, an 'onderwerp' is not an object, it's the property of an object. A discussion can have a topic, a conversation can have a topic, a book can have a topic, but you can't win, post in or read a topic, says my 'taalgevoel'. Try it. Say a friend returns from a meeting. So you ask: "Heb je nog wat gezegd in dat onderwerp?" It sounds silly.
    ..... I fully agree on the term 'Discussie'.

What a great language pack! I can't stress enough how happy I am with it.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Creek
    replied
    Ok, true.. But "thread" would be something like "draadje" and that sounds stupid.

I mean, a thread can have a topic.
    So a thread can have a onderwerp.

You don't make a new onderwerp, you make a new thread with a topic to talk about.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Grover View Post
    Ofcourse some words are best left in english, because they are integrated so well in the dutch language over the years. Like you have correctly pointed out : 'download' and 'upload' are terms that are in the new Dutch Language Pack, because there's no real dutch equivalent for it.

But I really have to disagree on the term 'topic'. Why would you want to use that phrase if 'onderwerp' is the correct translation for it? I can't imagine that there are many dutch websites at the moment that uses the phrase 'topic' instead of 'onderwerp'. So I don't understand your suggestion, really.
    And again I agree.

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    Or.. You could just say "topic".. Like "download" and "upload". And more words.

I mean, some words just are better in English then in Dutch.
    IMO.
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    I agree.
    Ofcourse some words are best left in english, because they are integrated so well in the dutch language over the years. Like you have correctly pointed out : 'download' and 'upload' are terms that are in the new Dutch Language Pack, because there's no real dutch equivalent for it.

But I really have to disagree on the term 'topic'. Why would you want to use that phrase if 'onderwerp' is the correct translation for it? I can't imagine that there are many dutch websites at the moment that uses the phrase 'topic' instead of 'onderwerp'. So I don't understand your suggestion, really.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied

IMO.
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Creek
    replied

IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    I have no idea.

Only the phrases that also show up in the forum.
    Well... I decided to post a suggestion about this issue : Translate the Front- and Backend seperately.

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    Agreed.

I think the choice is rather arbitrary. There's something to be said for 'onderwerp' (topic), as indeed not every thread is a discussion.

OTOH, an 'onderwerp' is not an object, it's the property of an object. A discussion can have a topic, a conversation can have a topic, a book can have a topic, but you can't win, post in or read a topic, says my 'taalgevoel'. Try it. Say a friend returns from a meeting. So you ask: "Heb je nog wat gezegd in dat onderwerp?" It sounds silly.

Perhaps 'conversatie', or less formal: 'gesprek' woult strictly speaking be better than 'discussie', but it sounds rather 'kunstmatig' and 'ongebruikelijk'.

Also 'discussie' is closer to vB's English original.

Anyway, it's too late now. Choices were made, texts have been translated, tears have been shed, invoices have been sent, bytes burnt to cd-rom. Topic closed, discussions will go on for ever
    Well... thanks for this informative reply.

And I have to say : I agree with you. Although I do think that it's more logical (because not every new thread would neccesarily evolve into a discussion) to call it [New Topic] instead of [New Thread], my own 'feel of language' (<--- ha... is this understandable?) agrees with yours : 'discussion' fits best. You have provided a good example really for this.

I am very pleased with the professional level of this great Language Pack : it was very much needed after waiting for more then 5 years! Thanks a lot!

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X